Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Chair Repair

Is almost finished. The new bearing assembly came today. and while it lined up side-to-side with the mounting hardware still in the chair, it was about 1/8" off fore-and-aft.

So out came my round, #2, bastard cut file and I elongated the holes. After about 45 minutes of filing and fitting, the holes lined up perfectly, and I attached the rocker bearing to the bottom of the chair, using flat and lock washers this time.

One of the bamboo pieces at the base of the chair had come loose, so I cleaned the mating surfaces, and glued it back on with some Weldwood TiteBond glue, and clamped it down for several hours Weldwood says you can remove the clamps after 30 minutes, but about 15 minutes after I pulled the clamps, the trim piece started to rise up a bit, so I clamped it back down and I'll wait until tomorrow to finish the project and post the pix.

And since it's supposed to be 103* here tomorrow, I think it'll be a good day to get all the items on my Home Depot list.

HD has AC, and we don't!

6 comments:

  1. I've had good luck over the years with evaporative (swamp) coolers. Some consider them unsightly but in our dry climate they do well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've got a "portable" cooler like that. A tub of water lasts all night, and it cools the room nicely.

      Delete
  2. 103° is just too danged hot. Fortunately, it rarely gets above mid-70s up here. Btw, looking forward to the chair repair pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally understand the "Dry Heat" thing. The humidity is around 5~6% here, and when you you step in the shade it feels 10*~15* cooler.

      But it's still HOT!

      Delete
  3. We had a swamp cooler that helped a lot, but 103? We purchased a window unit a/c in addition to the swamp cooler that cooled nicely in a couple of the front rooms with the help of a couple of fans. Unfortunately, the humidity in Colorado is very low, and a regular a/c won't help without the addition of moisture to the air...but you know that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. When it gets this hot here the humidity seems to drop under 10%.

      Like the "Dry Heat" thing, I didn't understand why they were so popular here until I saw how low the humidity gets.

      Delete

Keep it civil, please....

Gloomy, Gritty, Grey Day

 At 1700 local it's as described in the headline; 30*F, 88% RH, completely overcast, snowing like crazy (small flakes, but lots of them)...