Sunday, June 11, 2023

The Rack Is Back

 Finished with the new cables, and got the gear back in the rack.


 The new Reel-to-Reel on the right is going to need an overhaul, which I expected when I bought it. I knew it was going to need new belts and a relube, but it has some mechanical issues relating to the tape transport. Looks like the "Reel Table" heights are wrong, and the tape scrapes on the reel flanges. NOT good! But I think it was a fair deal, as it's pretty nice cosmetically, the heads show no wear, and I got it for half the price he was asking. It was a typical eBay transaction, where the seller wanted "Grade A" money for a "Grade C" item. It had languished on eBay for about a year, always in my watch list. After watching it for-evah, he made me a "20% Off" deal. He answered a few questions, and I countered with a "50% Off" price, and he took it. I have all the parts, but this guy is "Number 4 on the runway", as I have one item getting finished (it's already sold), the just acquired SX-1080 to go through, and my other TEAC 4300 that I really should go through now that I have better equipment.

And I still have a pair of Hallicrafters radios and power supply for the transmitter to go through, a pair of Drake "4-Line" twins to go through, and a Heathkit SB-401 transmitter to finish, along with my homeowner/housework/yardwork duties.

And working people always say "Retired People Have So Much Time To Do Things".........yeah, right.

Hope you all have a Blessed Sunday, I have to get back to chasing Grandson #1 around. He discovered we have a Nintendo Wii a couple of weeks ago, and he and I are having duels playing Mario Kart.

 

12 comments:

  1. Work habits don't change when you "retire" but you decided what work you will do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess! And occasionally I make a few $$ doing it.

      Delete
  2. Looking at the gear on the shelves is causing some heavy-duty nostalgia over here.

    Happy Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking nice!

    What model Hallicrafters equipment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An SX-117 receiver, and HT-44 transmitter, and a PS-150 power supply. I also have a Hallicrafters speaker (R-48?) in storage for it. The Collins 30L-1 has a new power supply board and caps in it, and new tubes. Cranks out out 650 Watts, but I never use it due to lack of electrical capacity in the Sun Room, where my HF station is. That's an Elecraft K2/100 sitting on the Collins.
      The other gear (L-to-R) is a Heathkit GC-1A "Mohican", a GR-78, a Yaesu FRG-7700, and two Radio Shack scanners, a PRO-2006, and a PRO-2030.

      Delete
    2. Good stuff! As you might expect, I was most interested in the bottom shelf, since I have a KWM-2 on the shelf and met the project engineer who ran the KWM design.

      Delete
    3. The 30L-1 would be a perfect companion to your KWM-2.

      Delete
  4. Busy, busy!!! :-) At least your stuff brings in some $$$ when you finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll never get rich doing it, but at least it defers the cost of what I keep.

      Delete

Keep it civil, please....

Meanwhile, Back On The Workbench......

 My next patient on the table is a Fisher SR-2010 receiver with no output.  Basic examination revealed a burned 100 Ohm, 1/4 Watt resistor, ...