Monday, April 10, 2023

He is Risen

 Interesting (or Ironic) that my recent injury happened at this time of the year. Had some time on my hands, and did some introspection. Every bit of pain I experienced was nothing compared to what He suffered. And it led me to a much more profound understanding of Christ The Man.

So what else have I been doing thee last few days? Well, I'm itching to get back in the workshop, even if SLW has to be my "Assistant". The desire to get back down there comes from what I had just started, a pair of Speaker Cabinets with all the stuffin's!

A pair of TriTrix MTM/TL speakers from Parts Express. Pix courtesy of Parts Express.


I'd been mulling over getting different speakers for the Shop Stereo since I upgraded to the Pioneer SX-980. Next step is an SX-1080, and then ultimately an SX-1280. The SX-1980 is considered the Holy Grail of the Silver SX Pioneer series, but there's NO WAY I'm paying the ask for one of those.

The first set of speakers I built were the "HitMaker" bookshelf speakers, also from Parts Express.



These were "Okay" speakers, and can get unpleasantly LOUD when driven with just 7~8 Watts. They're also sensitive to being off-axis to you, as the highs from the tweeter, already too "bright", get very harsh if you go more than 12~15* off-axis of the tweeter. Makes them very sensitive to room placement. They're best being at ear level, and no more than a few feet away. Great for listening to some Sinatra while tinkering away on some intricate little mechanism for Q-Section.

And since I want to understand these things called "Loud Speakers", I have to get a better grasp on things like "Crossovers", and "Speaker Drivers". and the merits of different "Enclosure Designs". The first set was just a "Tuned Port" or "Bass Reflex" enclosure, while these new kits are of a "Transmission Line" enclosure design.

The assembly of the knocked down enclosures is very straightforward, and the CNC cut pieces fit snugly.

Should be a nice project.


11 comments:

  1. I like the speaker project. One of these days, I may get a pair of speakers for my keyboard instrument improvement project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I have a "good" receiver, a "good" turntable, and three "really good" tape decks, I figured I need some "good" speakers!

      Delete
  2. Do what you can to keep busy. Envy your still being able hear, too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The PT gal who was here this morning is coming back on Wednesday so we can work on a transition from walker to cane/staff/etc.

      Delete
  3. I have a new set of 10" woofers and a 4" midrange and 3" ribbon tweeters and the speaker enclosures I had a water leak destroyed the bases and I have been trying to find a reasonable set of closures and been unsuccessful. I am not an audiophile, just want to enclose my all new speakers. Couple of vendors has unreasonable prices for (seems) to me exotic, high priced woods and nothing in a cheaper woods. Where did you get the set you describe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had eyes I would see... I didn't have enough reading comprehension drjim... I contacted by email the Parts Express, but their catalog only listed book shelve cabinets and I looking for a full size enclosure. Do you have any resources? Also still have that Reverb unit, any bites?

      Delete
    2. I had just returned from Harbor Freight with some more clamps, and had spent the evening before dry-fitting the parts together, when I did my crash-and-burn in the garage. The CNC parts fit very well, but as usual, break all the sharp edges and wipe/shop vac off all the dust. Go generous on the glue. It's also the sealant to keep the finished enclosure air-tight. Just google for "homemade speaker enclosures" and you should be busy for the next few days.
      Reverb is too much of a niche product, I think. Doesn't seem to be much interest in the audio places I go to.

      Delete
  4. The oxen is slow, but the Earth is patient.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I can't maneuver in the basement with the walker, so that's out. I just started a new project, the speakers, and in order to put them where they need to be, I had to tear everything apart and move a couple of racks. I now have nice empty racks, and stuff stacked all over the floor!

      Delete

Keep it civil, please....

Meet Luna!

 Great name for our new pup, eh? She's camera shy, and "Red Eye Removal" doesn't work for dogs! She's two years old, p...