All clean and shiny again!
I cleaned the wood case today, and applied/rubbed in a generous amount of "Old English Dark Wood Scratch Cover", and let it soak in while I replaced the tape counter drive belt, cleaned the level controls on the record electronics, and did a few other things..
After it had soaked in for a couple of hours, I buffed it with a microfiber towel. It had looked pretty shabby after cleaning 60 years of "stuff" off, but the wood oil really brought it back.
I pulled the top cover from the receiver as I had to replace the dial lights, and was going to give it the same treatment, BUT.....it's a particle board cabinet with a vinyl "wood grain" applique. Pretty much what Mom called "Contact Paper", and used on her shelves. I did mange to repair some areas where the wood grain applique had lifted, and gave it a good cleaning, so it looks much better than before. Since the Pioneer SX-780 was their "Loss Leader", I guess the cabinet was where they saved a few bucks.
So now I have to move the TEAC downstairs, and connect it all together. Then I can find out what's on that "Bob Hope USO Show" tape that I found in the box they gave me.