Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Home "Repair" Progress

The handyman guy is doing a bang up job, BUT.....my wife keeps finding more things, and adding more to his list, and wondering why he isn't finished yet.....

SIGH.....


He's fixed up the big gap between the brick front porch and the house that was caused by the porch settling due to the drought here, sanded/filled/primed and then repainted ALL the trim/fascia, repaired all the cracks in the stucco, and repainted about 3/4 of the house.

I've got our bedroom all cleaned out, with most of the furniture stashed around the house so he can scratch out and fill all the cracks in the walls and then paint it. She settled on "A nice, clean, bright Navajo White", BUT I don't think she realizes how badly the color blinds are going to clash with white after the window sills and walls are white.

The bathroom, front bedroom, living/dining area and kitchen have all been repainted in the last year, sooooo......that means the Radio Room will be in her sights very shortly, meaning I'm going to have to pull EVERYTHING out of here so it can get patched up and painted.

And after that's done I can see her really squawking about putting anything back in here, no matter how nice and clean the equipment is, or how well it's displayed.

SIGH.....


No word at all about her brother, other than it's "Day-By-Day, and Hour-By-Hour" per the duty nurse, and his case nurse.

I just went through the "What do you want us to do if you're severely incapacitated" paperwork with my primary care provider, and I think I said to give me a week on life support, and if the prognosis looks "really, really bad" to go ahead and pull the plug. I know they can keep the body alive almost indefinitely, but if there's no brain activity, and no hope of any in the foreseeable future, then is it worth it? I guess that's something that can only be decided on an individual basis, but I hope I never put my wife in that position......

4 comments:

  1. I just found your blog a few days ago and really enjoy reading your activities everyday! I just want to say one thing (then I'll be quiet) :)......I was widowed the first time at age 28...Had to make that "end of life" decision you speak about because we were both in college and had no wills or advanced directives .....Then I was widowed again 10 years later, age 38....We both had wills, being 2nd marriages with families, but my husband had no advance directive or power of attorney written....We had not really ever talked about each others "end of life" wishes...We were young (38 and 42)...My sincere advice to you is this. Please have the discussion with your wife and family. Then go online or to a family attorney and each of you draw up and full advance directive and power of attorney....If you have these in place, it will relieve great worry and turmoil for loved ones should something happen ...especially if it's something happening with no warning at all...That's when these directives are so valuable. Having gone through this twice, I just feel it's so important to pass this information on to others so they might be prepared should life throw them a tragedy that's unexpected. After my second tragedy, I have remained a single woman since age 38 with my one child....I went a step further and wrote an irrevocable trust to make sure my child is left with no difficult decisions to make or debts to settle....I am now 73 yrs. old and have a lovely life...made even better knowing my loved one will be cared for and spared the trauma of making end of life decisions. (Okay, I promise...I'll shut up now) Bless you and your family in the days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, lynne. We've had the talk, and understand what the other wants. Thanks for the reminder that this needs to be written down, and probably notarized. The power of attorney documents are something else we should look into.

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear of the progress you're making with the "old" house, and I know you're both going to be much, MUCH happier in CO. Sorry about your BIL, though; that guy's had more than enough problems. Prayers continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's moving along. The wife has TWO more days of work remaining, and then she'll be underfoot all the time.

      Not much we can do about Dave, other than wait and pray. This is one of those situations that's truly "In God's Hands"....

      Delete

Keep it civil, please....

Gloomy, Gritty, Grey Day

 At 1700 local it's as described in the headline; 30*F, 88% RH, completely overcast, snowing like crazy (small flakes, but lots of them)...