Monday, August 7, 2023

A Tale of Two Alternators, Or "Why It Still Ain't Smogged"

 It Was A Dark And Stormy Night........


 
No, really, it was. We've received over 4-1/2" of rain in the last couple of weeks, and since I won't take Ms Swan out in the rain, I thought it would be a good time to change out the slooowly failing alternator with the new, higher capacity unit I bought a while back. I've swapped more than couple of alternators in the past, and it's generally a pretty straight forward job, when you can see all the bolts. The car had a pinhole leak in the power steering high-pressure hose, which sprayed out a fine mist at certain times. The mist coated that side of the engine, and the underbody, with a mix of road grime and hydraulic oil. The resultant gunk was about 1/4" thick in spots, meaning I couldn't see the bolts to get a wrench on them. This is after a quick douse and brush with a bit of mineral spirits. The slider on the threaded rod was completely jammed with gunk, and I could't move the alternator enough to loosen the belt.



 Prior to cleaning this bracket and adjustment bolt you couldn't see them. To get to this point, however, I had to remove the pulley on the power steering pump.

And it's on there really tight.

Takes a big wrench, lots of grunt, a dash of PB Blaster, and a means to hold the damn thing while you break the nut loose.


 The pulley had to come off to reach a bolt holding the alternator bracket (the jammed-with-crud bracket) to the block. This required pulling the cooling fan and fan shroud. To pull the fan shroud requires you to remove the top radiator hose, which means draining a bunch of coolant. If I'm going to do that, I might as well replace both radiator hoses. That required pulling the radiator, as the degraded bottom hose was stuck on there so tight that I had to cut it to pull the radiator. 

The hose clamp is also installed perilously close to the end of the outlet, and was barely clamping the hose on. Looks like it was in a different place during it's life, too.
 

Since the coolant had been drained, I decided to look into "The Case Of The Missing Thermostat", or so I thought because the engine ran too cool, rarely reaching the normal zone on the gauge. The water out of the engine through the top hose also showed immediate warming from a cold-start, a sure sign of a missing thermostat.

Surprise, Surprise, Surprise!

It had one in it, but it was stuck wide-open.


It was also installed wrong, as the "Jiggle Valve" should be at the top to allow air to bleed out as you fill the engine with coolant.

So I'm cleaning a ton of parts, including those it's very hard to see or reach with these various bits on the car. 

And as long as I'm this far into it, I'm going to go ahead and change the cam drive belt, tensioner, and spring.

And It All Began On  A Rainy Day......



10 comments:

  1. the "Jiggle Valve" should be at the top to allow air to bleed out as you fill the engine with coolant.

    I've never heard about that.. If I ever have to do another replacement. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew about it from high-school shop class. And I don't think I've ever had a thermostat fail on me, so this was a new one to me. There's no way the previous mechanic could have bled all the air out of the cooling system.

      Delete
  2. Amazing how crap multiplies when you start working on a car, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah. This one has a pretty much unknown maintenance history, and a few things have been goobered on it. I'm putting things back nice and clean, and installed properly.

      Delete
  3. That will teach you to work on the engine without pulling it out of the car.

    Damn Engineers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yuk-yuk! If the engine ever gets pulled, it will get a rebuild. I have new pistons, pins, snap-rings and a full set of good quality "double molly" rings. I also have complete sets of rod and main bearings in standard size, and the two available oversizes in case the crank has to be ground. And new pin bushings for the connecting rods are "in stock" here, along with several complete gasket and seal sets. Loaded for bear here on the rebuild, but see no reason to do one.

      Delete
  4. The Taurus goes into the shop tomorrow. Oil change and power steering flush. My fingers don't work that well anymore. I fear the old shade tree mechanics, "A thirty minute job is one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal" . Bet you can relate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy can I! It's not much of a problem on a "Project Car", as I expect to find boogered up stuff, the occasional busted bolt or cracked part, but it's a MAJOR PITA on your daily driver.

      Delete
  5. I'm just going to fix ONE... oh never mind... just hand me the tool box...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like potato chips, NFO. You can't have "just one"!

      Delete

Keep it civil, please....

Meanwhile, Back On The Workbench......

 My next patient on the table is a Fisher SR-2010 receiver with no output.  Basic examination revealed a burned 100 Ohm, 1/4 Watt resistor, ...