Sunday, August 27, 2023

Timeline of What Happened, and Why.....

 This recent incident started when I ran out of a prescription med, an SSRI, and had some difficulty getting it refiled. My Primary Care Provider (great Doctor, BTW) had her "Patient Portal" changed from UC Health to Village Medical. 

The new website was NOT ready to roll-out, and they had several weeks of major issues. Medical records were lost, messages to your provider was were lost, appointments were dropped, scheduled wrong, or scheduled for after they were supposed to occur. i.e, your appointment for the 14th was made for the 4th, meaning you "missed" your appointment. Telephone calls subjected you to an hour more of music-on-hold while you waited. SLW was on hold for 90 minutes, and finally hung up. I lasted about 45 minutes when I called.

This is one of the worst Charlie Foxtrots I've ever seen. I've helped roll-out big sites like this, and this would have been totally unacceptable. I've seen people walked out the door for such a gross failure of a project. For a Medical website, this goes way beyond "unacceptable", and belongs in the "Inexcusable" category.

I went over Monday afternoon and told the receptionist I was in dire need of this medication, as I was starting to feel pretty bad. Nothing happened. SLW went over Tuesday afternoon, demanded to see a Nurse or somebody who could get this approved, as the pharmacy kept sending texts to me "Awaiting Prescriber Response".

After she "talked" to them, I had the prescription in an hour or so, but it was too late, and I was in withdrawl. Freezing cold, shaking like a leaf, teeth chattering, and covered in sweat. After about 20 minutes it would pass, but then I was gasping for air. Four hours later, it would hit me again. Tuesday night I started hallucinating when I closed my eyes, making it a bit difficult to sleep. All I could keep down was ice water, and even that came back up a few times. In short, I was a wreck.

Wednesday I felt a bit better, and had some ice cream, but I decided I had something was really wrong with me (Ya Think??), and Thursday morning we went to the Urgent Care Clinic. The Doctor there had spent most of his career in ER service, so he was really good at nailing things down rapidly. Had several blood draws, and exam, and an EKG. He came back in and said he had bad news, as I was experiencing a severely abnormal heart rhythm, along with "Significant T-Wave Inversion", and critically low Sodium (down to 119), Magnesium, and Potassium levels. He told us to go IMMEDIATELY to the ER, don't race there, but don't stop at Wal Mart, either. He'd phoned ahead to alert the ER, and they were waiting for me.

They started pumping me full of saline, Na, MG, and K, while taking numerous blood draws, and getting me stabilized, as my blood chemistry was way out-of-whack, my glucose was bouncing between 80 and 200, and my BP was bouncing around quite a bit, too. I had a Gamma Scan of my heart, then a stress test, then another Gamma Scan, and an Ultrasound exam of my heart. My Troponin levels were elevated, indication I suffered some permanent heart damage from the withdrawl I went through. My Doctor called it a "Cardiac Insult" which I thought quite appropriate. Heck, it "insulted" my whole doggone body. In my weakened state, the UTI that was starting went wild, and crossed over into my bloodstream, leading to a high white platelet count. My last two days in the hospital were spent waiting for the lab to do cultures on the strain of bacteria in my blood so they could proscribe a very specific antibiotic to target the bacteria.

Had my yearly "Wellness" visit with my Doctor, and she was very upset over this fiasco. The had several other patients who wound up in the hospital over the loss of communication between all parties, but I was about the most extreme one they had. I very possibly could have died from this, and I'm pretty upset about it, too.

So anyway....my blood chemistry is coming back into limits, I have some new meds to help offload fluid from the cardiac area, and ore heart exams to follow to check the damage caused by this incident.

I'm feeling better, but still a bit weak, and I lost 15 lbs during this incident.


Thank you all for the prayers and best wishes!

19 comments:

  1. Here I thought my interactions with the medical system here are messed ip.
    Well they are but NOTHING close to what y'all had to deal with. It sounds to me like you need to be talking to a freaking lawyer about getting compensated for nearly dying, pain, suffering and permanent damage to your insulted heart.
    Good Lord Jim, I can't hardly comprehend what a Chinese Fire Drill that was.
    I'm glad you are coming around but I would seriously consider sueing someone's ass off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The actual medical care I've received, from the busted hip to this, has been superb. I have ZERO complaints. This was a Black Swan, caused by a person or persons incompetence out side of the Medical system here. EVERYBODY knew about it, including my eye Doctor!
      A lawsuit is bubbling away in the back of my mind......

      Delete
  2. What a horror story! Glad that you are coming back to normal. Damsel and I wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are improving.

    I agree with Phil. Go after the big company that owns the practice and was responsible for the Charlie Foxtrot.

    I'm sure that it is a large provider that owns the practice because the rules in Obamacare made it next to impossible for any doctor owned practices to remain in business in that form. They were forced into selling their practices to the large healthcare companies. My doctor of the past 15 years and his partner were one of the many forced to do so. The quality of care and support have definitely suffered as a result because of all of the additional administrative overhead and restrictions on the doctor, not to mention the indifference of the bureaucracy inserted into the system. My doctor finally called it quits about a year ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gets sticky because I do NOT want my Doctor involved. She was as much a victim of incompetence as I was, and she was sincerely quite upset.
      AND--------This topic is CLOSED pending much time to be spent in Deep Ponder Mode.

      Delete
  4. Ok, the "get to the objective" engineer part in me wants to know why someone in the office didn't simply call in the prescription when you first alerted them? Oh wait...they need to use "the system" regardless it was not working...or an App...or some such nonsense. But hey, you got texts saying it was "in process". The death of common sense on the heels of all this communication tech that is now "the only" way to do things, then the excuse: "Oopsie, the system is down, we can't do anything until it's fixed" Bravo Sierra. Totally bogus and "inexcusable" in our modern age....almost like the medical industry is getting worse, not better as expected.

    Glad you are on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Incidentally, who would be responsible if you and SLW weren't paying attention and demanding action? Would you have "crossed the veil" they'd simply chalk it up as your fault then moved onto the next patient...like we see all the time now that the New Mengele's in "The System" get a free pass on their incompetence because they aren't medical professionals, they are computer chart readers being told by some algorithm what to do next. People have and will continue to die in their hands. Galling to say the least.

      Delete
    2. The Pharmacy sent me a text saying "Awaiting Prescriber Response", and since the Doctor's office never received the request, it just sat there.

      Delete
  5. Here is a half baked idea. You have the skills/knowledge to fix the system that nearly got you killed. Make them hire you as a consultant to fix things with the threat of a lawsuit if they don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant! An entrepreneurial solution to a problem. The question is will they accept the offer in that closed (minded) system?

      Delete
    2. @WSF - NO. I have no desire to do work in that field. My knowledge is "stale", and I do NOT want the stress involved.

      Delete
  6. I'm going to withhold my 'comments' since this is a family blog. Just glad you and your lady got you to the ER and you survived!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! Everybody in the family/clan is screaming for blood. Even SLW has mentioned legal action.

      Delete
  7. I am glad, drjim, that you made it to this side. That was a massive IT mess-up [I had other words I wanted to use but kept it family friendly]. You're still on this side of the daisies and I strongly endorse some of the first replies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bill. Good to hear from you. I'm leaning that way, too.

      Delete
  8. I'm late adding my "good to see you back and doing well" message so "good to see you back and doing well".

    I think we both lean toward the side of not wanting to get involved with lawyers unless it's really egregious, but this is a tough one. It was clearly negligence on the big company's part, and they should be taking steps to ensure it can't possibly happen again. The system should be monitored by some second system to detect crap like this and not having it fall on patients' shoulders. Or it should have some sort of feedback thing like a "press here if it hasn't happened" button.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, SiG! I agree about legal action. I have to go dark on this subject from here forward, as I've contacted a lawyer specializing in this area.

      Looks like the big storm headed your way is getting bigger! Take care. Never been through a big Tropical Storm, but you have, so batten down the hatches!

      Delete

Keep it civil, please....

Meanwhile, Back On The Workbench......

 My next patient on the table is a Fisher SR-2010 receiver with no output.  Basic examination revealed a burned 100 Ohm, 1/4 Watt resistor, ...