Sunday, August 14, 2022

Pioneer CT-F950 Rebuild - Those Pesky Pinch Rollers

 Got tied up yesterday with The Little Guy, as he unexpectedly stayed over Friday night, so this is a day late.

In fact, it's now TWO days late as I got sidetracked (what's new?) by some things on Saturday. If this was for a paying customer, it would have been out of here two weeks ago, but I've never worked on a cassette deck before. Which is why it's NOT for a paying customer. These things are a marvel of compact packaging of a complex mechanical assembly, all done to a "High End Prosumer" price level. It's one thing to make an extremely high-quality, rugged, reliable Reel-to-Reel tape recorder, and another thing entirely to do it for a Compact Cassette recorder. I can do all the basic service and repair on a good quality R2R deck as easily as the radio stuff I work on. Think Big-Block Chevy. Getting into one a cassette deck is more like getting in to a DOHC, Direct-Injected, Turbocharged, all aluminum, Indy Car engine. Whole different level of stuff needed. Smaller hardware and smaller components, all metric sized hardware, and different ways to measure things. Doable, but took some time to learn.

ANYWAY.....back to those Pinch Rollers. Yep, I screwed the pooch, f*cked the duck, and shot myself in the foot on this one. Well, gee, Jim........How'd That Happen? I got lazy, and didn't scrupulously clean all the old rubber from the bronze bearings they were vulcanized to.

See all the black stuff on the bearing? Yup....shoulda cleaned it ALL off before I pressed the new rubber sleeves on. I didn't, and I knew better because "They Didn't Look That Bad...".

Well, they were, but I used them anyway. Remember about all these parts being scaled down for a R2R machine? That means the defects on the little rollers "scaled up", and the molehills became mountains, and the audio quality suffered tremendously because of it. These rollers don't keep pressure on the tape; they drive the tape in conjunction with the two capstan shafts. And speed variance, or lumps and bumps in it's operation, directly affects how smoothly the tape goes past the heads. Wow and Flutter, those two dizty twins, made an appearance and wrecked the place. Evan Van Halen sounded horrible!

I tried several solvents to get the rubber loose, but no joy. All they did was clean it. I tried soaking them for 48hrs in a small container with SLW's "Skin-Safe! Non-Toxic!!" "paint stripper", and nada. They're soaking right now in some Aircraft-Grade Coating Remover that I use once in a while.


 

In the meantime....I bit the bullet and ordered a set from Athan, a company that specializes in any-and-all rollers, idlers, and tires for high-end equipment.


They're not only made of a better, longer-lasting Urethane compound, but they ditched the bronze Oilite bearing for a ball-bearing.

The rubber sleeves were about $25 for a pair. The Athan rollers are $50.....each. Plus tax and shipping.

Oh, well, these should last "forever"....

And here they are, living in their Forever Home...

 

With the front panel on:


 And just about ready to begin the Electrical tests as per the Service Manual.


Y'all be safe out there in the coming week!


 

7 comments:

  1. Another learning experience, but it seems like it might work out for you. Been there, done that sort of thing myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It plays very nicely, now. I'm going to run through the complete service section, including the Dolby circuits, as my equipment can generate the required frequencies and levels, and has current calibration. If I make a measurement per the manual, and it's "In-Spec", I'm NOT going to adjust it. I've also put index marks on all the pots, so I know where I'm coming from!
      My TEAC A-4300SX R2R isn't working quite the way I think it should, so this will get me acquainted with the measurements I'll doing on it. And it's far easier to wrangle this little tape deck around than it will be to do the TEAC!

      Delete
  2. What a beauty!! Can you provide a link to the rollers? Are you going to cover the calibrations/adjustments?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rollers, idlers, and other rubber bits are easy to find. Athan (link in post) and Terry's Rollers are the two premo places.

      Delete
  3. Well, at least you got it fixed. Sometimes you just have to pay the man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I got Penny-Wise and Dollar-Foolish! Should have bought them in the first place, and wouldn't have wasted the time messing with the cheap ones.

      Delete
  4. Sweet deck! Looks like it's fresh from the factory!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it civil, please....

A Week With Luna....

 She's settling in quite nicely. She's very obedient, affectionate, friendly, and amazingly good with both our grandsons. She's ...