Monday, August 27, 2012

RCBS "Rock Chucker" Kit

Well, I went over to my buddy's business today to pick up my mail and my packages.

Besides the RCBS kit, I'd ordered a bunch of books on the X-15 Research Aircraft and the XB-70 Valkyrie Experimental Bomber, and another book on the M1 Garand and M1 Carbine..

It took me about 15 minutes to bring everything in from the Jeep once I got home.

I'm really impressed with the RCBS "Rock Chucker" kit! I knew it came with the big items I wanted, like the press and a scale, but I'd either forgotten, or didn't look at everything listed in the description.

It came with a hand primer, and an automatic powder measure, along with a bunch of other little things. Every box I opened was "Oh Boy!" to the point my sweet wife came over and started looking at all the goodies.

We talked about reloading yesterday when I was plopped on the couch relaxing, and I showed her pictures of all the equipment, and explained all the steps in reloading empty cases.

She agreed it was a good aspect of the hobby to know and understand, and said I'd probably "Do everything exactly by the book, and get really good at it".

At this point (Rank Beginner) I'm just looking to get performance comparable to the factory loaded ammo I buy, learn a bunch, and save a few bucks. Perhaps at some future date I'll do some experimentation to develop loads suited to my particular guns, but as Ellie Arroway's Dad told her...."Small steps".

.

3 comments:

  1. I recall what the guy at the gun counter told me after I purchased all my reloading gear.
    "You're not going to save a single red cent by reloading. Your ammo might be cheaper, but you'll shoot more to make up the difference."
    He was right. I shoot waaaaaay more now that I reload, as opposed to when I was just shooting off-the-shelf ammo. It isn't just because I have more ammo, but because I can better tailor the ammo to what I'm shooting, and what I'm shooting at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Extra style points for the Ellie Arroway reference!


    SiGraybeard @ work

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose I'll eventually work up to the point of doing custom loads, and I already agree that I'll probably NOT save much (or any) money reloading.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it civil, please....

Annnnd.....We Got Zip.....

 Total snow was about 6~8", but half o0f it melted as soon as it hit, and we never had more than 3" on the ground at any one time....