Friday, May 9, 2014

Finally Friday!

Been pretty busy the last few days getting ready for tonight's final testing of the "Integrated Launch Vehicle".

I'll be going in about 1600 to finish training the guy who's going in my place, and supervise him during the test.

The RF portion of the test will start about 2200, although the customer has told us they *might* be ready to go as early as 2000.

If all goes well, I should be able to get out of there at midnight, otherwise it could be a looooong night!

The last time this particular customer was there, they dragged things out, left for dinner without telling anybody, didn't follow the printed schedule we gave them, and in general caused the whole operation to be in Charlie Foxtrot territory all night.

I wound up being there almost 16 hours!

This morning I'm going to go by the Social Security office to ask a few questions about my upcoming retirement, and then I'm going to a farewell lunch for another person who's leaving the company. She's one of the "Export" people who handles a lot of the paperwork, and she'll really be missed.

After this launch, we have NO idea what's going to happen. The launch for fourth quarter of this year isn't going to happen, and the customer the management was in talks with for next year has yet to commit. Considering it takes anywhere from 6 to 12 months to get some of the specialized hardware built, if they don't commit pretty soon, that launch just aint gonna happen.

Several people have told me in private they're going to bail after this launch, which will really out the company in a bad position.

As for me, I'm out of there in August!


  1. If there's such a thing as a good time to leave, looks like you picked it nicely.

  2. I'm betting you were there all night (again)... and yeah, picking your time 'does' have a few advantages...

  3. We were finished by 2330 last night!

    The customer started their testing about 1945, a three hour test, and then we spent the rest of the time shutting down our equipment, and getting our gear ready for transit.

    I would have been home by 0015, but got stuck waiting for a train for 35 minites, so I didn't get home until ~0100.

    The Launch Platform is leaving Sunday morning at 1030, and the Command Ship will leave Thursday morning at about the same time.

    I patted the side of the LP as I was getting off, as I don't expect to have to go back on her again, unless they want me to help put her in cold lay-up after she gets back.

    My visit to the local Social Security office Friday morning was very enlightening. The very nice lady I talked to told me that since I was over 62, I can retire any time I want to.

    I'm going to hold off filing for a while, at least until the ships get back, to see what's going to happen.

    If I get laid-off (fingers crossed!), I'll grab unemployment for as long as I can. Hell, I've paid enough into it, might as well get some back before the well dries up!


Keep it civil, please....

Kludge or Clever?.....<i><b>You Decide!</i></b>

 SOOO....after I unsoldered the leads connected to the photocells, as directed to in the manual, I was able to get the photoresistors for th...