Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Getting Ready To Go.....

We spent most of the day securing our systems on the LP and stowing equipment for transit. We had antennas to lock down, feeds to stow, cables to pull back into the Comm Shack, and rented test equipment to get back to the shipping-receiving guys. It's kind of a drag having to work out in the 95* heat we've been having, especially after not leaving work until 2300 the night before.
The LP is leaving Thursday at 0800, and we'll follow Sunday morning around 1000.
They brought in FIVE tankers full of liquid nitrogen, and as the last of those were leaving, SIX tankers of liquid oxygen were waiting to come into the lot. The LN2 is used to chill the RP1, a kerosene-based fuel, so that it's denser and provides a bigger bang, and the LOX is used as the oxidizer.
We stocked our private "Goodie Freezer" today with an assortment of ice cream and frozen foods, and the "dry goods" will get loaded tomorrow. The food on the ship is usually quite good, but there are times when you have to work through meals. The galley is very accommodating if there's a major operation going on, and they'll bring us buffet plates to make sandwiches from, and provide us with mid-rats if we request.
I took about 30 DVDs and my laptop onboard today, and tomorrow I'll drag all my camera gear up to my office cube. I'll haul my sea bag in on Friday, and that eliminates having to drag all that stuff from my car to the ship the morning we leave.
I've been doing this long enough to appreciate the convenience of having all my stuff onboard well prior to departure!
So things are on-schedule, and we're looking forward to heading back to 154*W, 0*N for a launch!


  1. You can see more information here:

  2. And don't forget the Dramamine :-)

  3. Luckily I don't get seasick. The first day out I eat light, take a nap, and get to bed early.
    Since Dramamine is basically Benadryl with a mild stimulant, and I take Benadryl for my allergies, I'm covered!

  4. How long will it take to get to 154W, 0N?

  5. It takes us 3~4 days at 20 kts to catch the Launch Platform, and then we cruise together at 10 kts for another 7~8 days, so 10~12 days for us to get there.
    A day sent setting up, a day for launch, and a day to tear down and stow equipment. Then we skidaddle out of there at 20 kts for 7 days to get home.
    The fastest we've ever done a launch was 17 days, Home Port to Launch site, and back to Home Port.
    The looooongest was 40 days or so.


Keep it civil, please....

The Little Guy with the New Little Guy

 Sweet Little Wife sent this. She's been babysitting both of them while The Kids are at work. Maybe there's some hope for the future...