Friday, September 6, 2024

Posting/Commenting Issues Solved.....and One for Phil.....

 By dumping Firefox. I've been using Firefox since Netscape morphed into it, and I've been very content until lately. It started refusing to post comments on any Blogger site due to "Cross-Site Tracking Cookies", and I couldn't even reply on my own blog. It was also running slow, and randomly locking up, sometimes tying up so many System Resources that it was very difficult to use the mouse and keyboard.

So now I've switched over to Falkon, a more "lightweight" browser. And in the middle of this, I did a major OS update, and forgot to plug the PC into the wired network. BAM! Lost my wireless connection, and spent a couple of days getting that squared away. I'd really rather have a wired connection to the router, as I was getting 750MB download speeds with very low latency (no lag monster), and I max out at 25MB on the 2.4GHz wireless link, and 75MB on the 5GHz wireless link. I'll have to check the specs on our 7 year old router, and my equally old wireless adapter and see where the bottleneck is.

And as usual for this time of year, I'm really busy. I have a ton of year-old Didn't Get Done things to take care of, and after all the ups and downs and recovery time of last year I'm making up for it as best I can. Between watching a grandson or two, cutting up a bunch of firewood, yardwork, attending family gatherings, a HoneyDew list that never ends, and working on my own projects.

Repairs on my friend's Fisher SR-2010 are continuing at a slow pace. After finding capacitors in the Amplifier section that were running Danger Close to their maximum ratings I started going through the schematic looking for others, and found half-a-dozen more "At Risk" capacitors, so I'm going to change them, too. They're "$2 Parts that cost $100 to fix", so out they go!

And here's the one for Phil I promised.....


Nice clean, shiny, NEW water pump, timing belt, tensioner, and spring. And everything around them is getting a good scrub, and paint touch-up where required.

I do love working with nice, clean, shiny stuff. Getting here is a lot of tedious, time-consuming work, but oh so worth it.

Enjoy your weekend, use your time wisely, and always stay in Condition Yellow. I have a feeling things might get a bit spicy in the next few months.....I just wonder how BIG a cheat The Evil Ones are planning to pull off come November.......

16 comments:

  1. Good you have problems solved. There is a meme floating around. Seems he never expected to finish his project car, did finish it, and now doesn't know what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't use Falkon since we don't run Linux here anymore. I have been using Brave on Win10 for the last few years and it has served us well (for Damsel and me). It's Chrome-compatible.

    My internet on the 5Ghz wireless link gets about 250mb/sec with the Cox cable provider here. Good enough for all the streaming entertainment we are into these days.

    We're closely watching all the political activity and have been trying to be prepared for some of the spice, although not too likely to happen large scale in our little corner of the desert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm "In Work "on locating where the bottleneck is. Might be our old router, might be the wireless adapter I'm using. I was stunned when I saw 750mb/sec speeds on the wire!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Buddy! You feeling any better these days?

      Delete
    2. Worse than ever but I do finally have a time window between the end of Oct and the first weeks of Nov to finally get a couple stents put in. Still a couple of hurdles in between but it's as close as I have gotten in the last 16 months.

      Delete
    3. Hang in there! I had three cardiac stents emplaced back in 2013. The increased blood flow will make you feel much better, and should get rid of all the pain you're feeling due to a lack of blood flow.
      Best wishes, buddy!

      Delete
  4. When I ditched Firefox years ago, everyone razzed me about it. They wouldn't believe that FF was acting like a virus and locking up my laptop. When that one mostly died due to killing the on-board wifi connection, the comptechs said that wasn't a new thing and definitely was Firefox trying to reinstall after I disinstalled it, repeatedly, over and over again.

    When I told my computer friends that, they all went "Nu-uh, Firefox is the bestest evah!" And now they have all migrated away from Firefox for the same reason, sucks up more resources than Excel on a bad day and all that.

    Welcome to the world of better internet searching.

    But you might want to do a deep dive into your drives and make sure that that evil program has truly been exorcised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm running Linux, Beans. Pretty difficult to hack into.

      Delete
  5. And, first real part I learned to replace was the water pump on a Datsun B-210.

    Of course, that's when you didn't need an HVAC license to work on your own darned car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember what the first water -pump I changed was. Done a lot of them, but can't recall the first one.

      Delete
  6. Hmm. I've been using Firefox for ages and haven't had the problems you talked about. The worst I've had have been fixable by Universal Software Fix - quit the program and start it again.

    Time for browser shopping?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just in the last 6mos~9mos that it's started being cranky. I see it just updated (again...), so I'll keep an eye on it.

      Delete
  7. Yep, hard plugs are always faster than wireless... and the Supra is looking good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing is that the spec sheets for the router and WiFi adapter I have claim they can do the 750mb/s or more. Gotta find the bottleneck.
      And thanks for the comment about the car. Even my SLW says it looks "pretty"!

      Delete

Keep it civil, please....

Posting/Commenting Issues Solved.....<i>and One for Phil</i>.....

 By dumping Firefox. I've been using Firefox since Netscape morphed into it, and I've been very content until lately. It started ref...