Saturday, April 13, 2024

YAY! Harmonic Balancer Off The Engine

 The special tool I ordered worked like a charm after I bought some longer bolts. Since the tool is listed as for a Lexus, which used this basic engine, I guess the harmonic balancer isn't as deep as this one on my Toyots.

Tool on Balancer:


 Big Bolt removed:

 

Puller on Balancer:

Balancer off car:


 

It's a Good Thing I'm doing this, because even though the belt looks fairly new, the tensioner is shot. Hard to rotate, gritty feeling, and most likely the one the car was born with.

This will be my play room the next few days while I clean this up, and install the new parts.

Next thing will be to pull the lower intake runners, followed by more cleaning of those parts and the left side of the engine.


 

Then I can start on the wiring upgrades......

8 comments:

  1. I do admire they way you are treating that Supra. Remember, both Sisty and I are ace manual transmission drivers in case you need test drivers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my "1:1 Scale" model car, and I'm doing all the maintenance items that have an unknown history. The stiff, gritty bearing in the tensioner surprised me, and it needed replacement.

      Delete
  2. At least it isn't a transverse mounted engine. Glad the tool worked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really! The first thing I thought when I saw an Audi with a transverse 5 cylinder engine was "It's Gotta Be A PITA To Work On", followed closely by "It's Gonna Cost A Fortune To Fix A Front-End Collision".....

      Delete
  3. I'd recommend any bolt replacements be Grade 8s...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Metric-Speak, that would be "Grade 12.9". Over the last 10 years I've collected bags of genuine Toyota nuts, bolts, washers, clips, and other unique bits. It ain't going to Pebble Beach, but it will be correct!

      Delete
  4. Gotta love it when a plan actually works eh?
    Just because Buddy, change out the water pump and bypass hose while you have it apart that far. You will be glad you did .
    Good work and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll do a post on "Work In Progress" and "Work Planned". I have three, new, complete sets of all the coolant hoses. A local hose place fabricated all new high-pressure and return hoses for the fuel injection. And I have several spools of proper metric-sized vacuum hose, so they'll all get replaced, too. Air and vacuum leaks can drive these early fuel injection systems bonkers, so I'm "Killing It With A Brick", and making sure everything is bottled up tight.

      And I have three, new "Made In Japan" water pumps......

      Delete

Keep it civil, please....

Array Solutions <i>AND</i> MFJ Closing Up Shop

 Got this from a friend: A few weeks ago, Array Solutions announced they were closing their doors. Now MFJ has made their announcement . Apr...