Sunday, July 23, 2023

Catching Up....

 Well, it rained, I had some Honey Dews, and two Doctor's appointments. Then we had some more rain, then I had a few more Honey Dews, so I gave up on getting the Supra smogged until this coming week.

It sure runs nice, though, and I've been tinkering away, cleaning up some loose ends (like mounting my speakers), cleaning up the garage, and making a written inventory of what I have, and what I need. VERY few of the molded hoses used on this car are available, so we have to adapt things. For example, Toyota used two hoses with a brass coupler to join them for the heater return. There's a single piece hose from a Tundra/Sequoia that fits perfectly, and costs less to boot. I have a couple of those on order. Some of the other, smaller water bypass hoses are somewhat available, but are again, from a different car, like a Honda or Nissan, and have to be cut and trimmed a bit to fit properly. Just another one of the things you deal with when working on older cars that are no longer supported by the manufacturer. Some day I'll do a post on why it costs so much to "restore" a car. A very large part of it is labor, including time spent chasing down obscure parts, or finding suitable replacements.

Things are growing like crazy here. I have to spray the gravel bed borders again, and the drip system for SLW's front garden is lurking in the background, too. I have all the bits and pieces we need to get the system installed, and plenty of tubing, drippers, adapters, and other things we might need in the future for expansion and repair. I have the next roll of 1/2" tubing unrolled in the yard so it loses the "set" it had from being coiled up. It also softens the tube, making it easier to lay it down and take the shape you need.

So that's it for the last week. Hope you all had a pleasant and Blessed weekend.

4 comments:

  1. Work pause. I have a monochrome Brother printer that has served me well. Cost less than $100. Needs a new drum. Called the local Office Depot. In stock, $132+tax. Several on Amazon for $22-$35.I like to support local merchants, even if it is a chain, but damn! Amazon sent me an email that it has shipped (UPS which I loath). Let's hope everything works.

    While I admire what you are doing with the Supra, good enough is my motto. I will say it is the most sanitary one I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first laser printer was a Brother. Excellent print quality, miserly with toner, and never missed a beat the whole5+ years I used it. Gave to a Ham buddy, and he still uses it! My next printer will be able to do two-sided printing. That would save me much paper when I print technical manuals.
    Thanks for the compliments on the Supra. It's a long, slow, slog, but I'm getting there. This Fall when I put it up for the Winter I'm going to pull all the EFI/Intake Manifolding off. I have a set of new, flow-matched injectors for it, and there are a couple of hoses underneath it all that need replacing as they were born with the car. I'll go through the Throttle Body downstairs on the bench to inspect and clean it out, and make sure all the mechanical adjustments are spot-on. It's MUCH easier to replace the fuel filter while all that stuff is off, and it also allows better access to the clutch Master Cylinder and starter. Not to mention I'm sure it's a grease-pit under there, too.
    I usually do the "Good Enough" level on my daily driver, but the Supra is a Project Car. It helps keep my skills sharp and my brain active, like the Radio/Stereo stuff does in the Winter.
    SLW says it's my "Therapy Car"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grumble... chasing 'parts' is always a PITA... try finding parts for a 53 Caddy ElDorado hydraulic system some time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, same thing. Happens with old radio gear, too.

      Delete

Keep it civil, please....

Carolina In the Pines

  She came to me, said she knew me Said she'd known me a long time And she spoke of being in love With every mountain she had climbed...