Sunday, July 30, 2023

Loose Ends....

 Even though I've been spending a lot of time in the garage lately, I haven't let my "Downstairs" projects languish. I finished putting the acoustic foam inside the speaker enclosures I started right before I broke my hip, and I'll be dragging them upstairs to the garage to sand the outsides and do some filler work on them.


I'm still at the Beginner's Stage for woodworking like this, but I'm getting much better with every enclosure I build. I now have several sets of corner clamps, long bar clamps, short bar clamps, and a small 1/2" belt sander to knock off the "dingleberries" on the CNC-cut parts, and to bevel ALL the parts that fit together. That last tip was stumbled upon as I was trying to fit the large second side of the enclosure together. They would NOT go together smoothly, even though the sides were routed like a mortise to accept the tenon part on an internal brace. Took a lot of head scratching, and then some heavy sanding on the tenons to get them properly fitted. In retrospect, there are things I would have done differently, but it's glue-under-the-table at this point.

Gonna take my Big Foot hand cart to get these up the stairs!


Once they're sanded and smooth, I'll coat them with a polymer "Road Case" coating, put the crossovers and speakers in them, glue-and-screw the side on, and touch up the coating along the seams.

Just hope they sound decent.


6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm sure not planning on any! Now if we can just get this Urology issue settled, I'll be back in battery!

      Delete
  2. Sigh... I envy your ability to still hear well enough to enjoy your 'toys'... I'm sure they will look great when you finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your hearing is that bad, NFO? I know you've mentioned it before. Gad, not being able to enjoy music would be a little piece of big disappointment in my life.

      Delete
  3. You always do such cool things, DRJIM. I have learned by sad experience that a good urologist is worth his weight in gold. There are a lot of pretenders to the title out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, LL, but it's just some gluing together precut parts, a little soldering, and a coat of paint.
      I'm very fortunate to have a good Urologist who spends plenty of time explaining things, listens to my questions and answers them, and has a First Class staff to see to my needs that don't require him.
      And every time I drive past a VA hospital out here, I think of you, NFO, and WSF, and my Veteran friends on the Iowa. It's not the kind of Doctoring you need often, but it sure is a comforting feeling to work with Good Doctors.

      Delete

Keep it civil, please....

Carolina In the Pines

  She came to me, said she knew me Said she'd known me a long time And she spoke of being in love With every mountain she had climbed...