Saturday, March 11, 2023

The Journey Continues.....

 After fighting our way through The Straights of Pioneer, we at last arrived in The Bay of Nakamichi, where they natives are indeed quite friendly and accommodating.

Total service time on the bench for this one was about 15 hours. A lot of time was spent learning the ways of the natives, but the reward was worth it. I also gave this one a complete calibration, head alignments (It has three separate, discrete heads), and verified/adjusted things to meet factory specs. It passed with flying colors, and Buffalo Springfield hasn't sounded this good in years.

This coming week we'll be visiting the nearby Village of TEAC, meeting up with some old friends, and picking up this castaway who needs a good home.


Yep....10.5" reels, ferrite heads, and really good specs. Progress reports will follow, at least until Spring arrives, and Ms. Swan comes out of hibernation......


Feeling much, much better, and today marks Ten Days without a cigarette. Felt so good I'm making rye bread. Results to follow....


10 comments:

  1. Buddy in college back in '78 had a TEAC RTR. Mmmm . Wasn't impressed.
    About cigs, I applaude! It took me awhile after my weird nothing stroke, and prostate cancer diagnosis, but I got done with that.
    I can't believe what a pack of smokes cost these days. Unreal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TEAC made many different models. Some were decidedly "entry level", like my A-4010S, while others were destined for studio/broadcast use, like this one.

      Delete
  2. I never had anything like a Teac. We had a Sony that we used when our guitar and ukulele playing buddies would come over to jam. Cool old days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a Sony TC-630 from 1968 when I bought it until 2009 when I tossed it. The heads were shot, all the rubber stuff inside had fallen apart, and parts were not available. That thing was like the Energizer Bunny....it just kept going, and going...

      Delete
  3. We had a Grundig reel to real tape recorder when I was a kid. I think it came from Aunt who worked for the state department in far off foreign posts. Over the years, I've had a couple of encounters with tape machines of various flavors, but I never had the budget to pay for musical recordings, so they didn't get much use. But way to go on the cigs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chuck. I only had two or three prerecorded tapes back-In-The-Day. I'd record record albums, or live performances. Nowadays I record radio shows and albums for later play.

      Delete
  4. Ohhh... I had one of those Teacs! Lasted for years and multiple moves!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. They're built like battleships! Just do the normal maintenance items, and they last forever if not abused.

      Delete
  5. At least it isn't one of the old Ampex recorders from back in the 60s, the ones I had to maintain in the 70s at the first radio station I was with. They had about the same footprint as a washing machine, but were now quite as tall. Mono with all tube electronics. The transport mechanisms were almost bullet proof. You mainly had to keep it clean and lubricated, and replace pinch rollers when they started to harden and glaze. A little bit of xylene worked wonders on the pinch rollers when they started getting old and would keep them going until you could convince the general manager to spring for some new pinch rollers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember those monsters! Never used one or worked on one, but I remember them. Yeah, Xylene works wonders on old, hard rollers.....for a while!

      Delete

Keep it civil, please....

Meanwhile, Back On The Workbench......

 My next patient on the table is a Fisher SR-2010 receiver with no output.  Basic examination revealed a burned 100 Ohm, 1/4 Watt resistor, ...