Sunday, March 12, 2023

Bread - A "Ground Rules" Home Run!

 Iffen Ida pulled it out of the oven about 6~7 minutes sooner, it'd be in the stands!

It almost looks burnt in this shot, but due due some color balance problems, it's not that dark in person. Think "dark, but still golden", and you'd be spot-on.

And yow.....does it taste great!

The last step in learning "High Altitude" baking for this recipe will be to adjust the baking time to 40~45 minutes at 410*F, and not the 45~50 minutes I used. Paper records have been updated. My white bread (can I say that?) should come out equally good.

Bon Appetit!



10 comments:

  1. Looks wonderful. Enjoy!

    Damsel and I are still on the low-carb diets, but last weekend she made some "Keto Rolls" for our Italian meatball and marinara sandwiches. It was pretty darned good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd eat it. :-) Congratulations, drjim!
    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Linda. Definitely the best loaf of rye bread I've ever made.

      Delete
  3. Love bread! Love real sourdough bread (made with a starter)! Boy does homemade bread taste good. Bread doesn't love me though. It makes me rounder in the middle at my age. Looks like you are conquering the devils of high altitude baking. It is so much easier 4000' lower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're right on the border of real "High Altitude" baking. 5000' doesn't need too many adjustments, and most of my wife's recipes work fine "AS-IS". 7500' and above starts to get tricky, and the cafe at the summit of Pike's Peak (14,000') had to come up with new recipes for many items.

      Delete
  4. Well done! I don't even try to bake bread... sigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy at lower altitudes. Just takes the right ingredients, a bit of care, and time. Waiting for it to rise is almost like watching paint dry....

      Delete

Keep it civil, please....

Gloomy, Gritty, Grey Day

 At 1700 local it's as described in the headline; 30*F, 88% RH, completely overcast, snowing like crazy (small flakes, but lots of them)...