Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Freedom.....I WON'T

Or as our friends over at the Western Rifle Shooters Association are given to say, resist.


I first read this little story by Eric Frank Russell back in high school, and thought it was quite interesting, and more than a bit quaint, but then I grew up in the Midwest, with all the accompanying values and morals that growing up middle-class in the 1960's Midwest entails, including taking your "obs" seriously.

It's a little story of a vast Terran empire reaching out to its long neglected colonies in order to bring them "into the fold", and most likely tax the living snot out of them.

The residents of one particular planet aren't about to be enslaved, and have pretty much perfected The Ultimate Weapon, and show the Terran empire what it can do.

So grab a cup of coffee, and head on over to abelard.org and read "And Then There Were None".

I'm sure you'll enjoy it, and maybe pick up an idea or three.....

4 comments:

  1. The Great Explosion. I have it on my book shelf, it's excellent.
    I think he also wrote "Men, Martians and Machines" which is good as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember reading it in an anthology book I bought in my high-school cafeteria at one of the MONTHLY book sales they had.

      Imagine that....selling books in the high-school cafeteria during lunch time, and having long lines of kids waiting to BUY their own books!

      Things sure have changed, and NOT for the better.....

      Delete
  2. Yep, good story, and becoming pertinent again...

    ReplyDelete

Keep it civil, please....

Annnnd.....We Got Zip.....

 Total snow was about 6~8", but half o0f it melted as soon as it hit, and we never had more than 3" on the ground at any one time....