Thursday, May 19, 2016

Boeing Wins Case Against Sea Launch Partners

From a post on NASASpaceFlight.com:

Boeing wins case against Sea Launch partners

On May 12, 2016, judge Andre Birotte of the Central District of California, ordered RKK Energia to pay Boeing and its business unit, Boeing Commercial Space Company, BCSC, a total of $322.49 million in owed investments and interest.

The same ruling ordered KB Yuzhnoe and its production partner Yuzhmash, (both based in Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine) to pay a total of $193.44 million.

The total sum owed by Russian and Ukrainian space industry in the Sea Launch debacle thus reached $515.93 million.

As the person making the post noted, it's doubtful that Boeing will get that amount, if anything, from their former partners.

Here's a nice history of the program from RussianSpaceWeb.com.

Every time I drive from Long Beach to San Pedro, I see the ships sitting there.

They haven't moved in almost three years now, and I'm sure the hulls are rather thickly encrusted with barnacles and other sea life.....

4 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of this before. Interesting though, I'll have to run a scan and see what all I can pick up. The link you listed is a good place for me to start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worked there for Boeing from 2004 until 2009, and again for Energia from early 2011 until August 2013.

    My time there with Boeing was absolutely the BEST job I've ever had. The people were amazing, the pay was outstanding, and I really felt like I was part of a team doing something worthwhile.

    The time there working for the Russians was about 180* out-of-phase!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it's over now... Enjoy retirement!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, stick a fork in them!

    I'd be willing to go back and help BOEING clean up the mess, but the Russkies?

    They can go rot in h3ll!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it civil, please....

Annnnd.....We Got Zip.....

 Total snow was about 6~8", but half o0f it melted as soon as it hit, and we never had more than 3" on the ground at any one time....