Sunday, January 13, 2013

My Flu Shot Didn't Work

I've been getting flu shots since 2009 when I got really sick for about 2 months with some bug that just wouldn't go away. So far, things have been fine, with just "regular" colds.

Not this year.

I noticed I was starting to get a sore throat on Tuesday, and by Wednesday night I could hardly speak, and was running a fever.

"Dr. Mom" insisted I got to bed early, and loaded me up with some OTC stuff that helped. Thursday I stayed home from work, and Thursday night I had one of those coughs that kick in about 3 minutes after you lay down, making it rather difficult to get any sleep. I called in to work Friday morning, and my boss told me to STAY HOME, as we're too close to leaving to have me come in, spread something around, and have everybody else sick just as we're getting to the launch site.

Friday and Saturday morining I was pretty 'zombiefied' from whatever hit me, AND the cold meds, so I just kicked back and didn't do much.

I went in to work today at 0800 to help set up and run the final RF testing we do before they lower the rocket, and roll it back in the hangar, and everything went smooth as silk. We were finished by 1430, and rather than hang around, I came back home to take it easy. Tomorrow we'll get all our gear on the platform stowed for transit, and then wave them off Tuesday morning, with us following 4 days later on Saturday.

So beware!

There's a nasty bug floating around out there, and I hope it misses you....

10 comments:

  1. I was supposed to get one from work (tetanus booster too) but after I heard about it, nothing else was ever said. They forgot to tell me about when/where and so on.

    Not happy about it now, when flu shots are hard to come by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you were under the weather; glad you're better now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got mine back in October, which is when I usually get it. I thought I remembered hearing there were two strains this year, so maybe I lost the coin toss!

    "Dr. Mom" made me eat a bowl of the Dutch Oven pot roast we made last week. We always make enough to freeze a bunch, and it was very good going down.

    I KNOW we don't have weather like you guys do, but it's been 30* here the last few mornings, and hot soup/pot roast on a cold day is rather nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes they missed on one of the strains... this year.

      Delete
  4. Hope you can kick it soon. Nothing worse than a flu. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you're better, and fingers crossed over here... DO NOT need that crap...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you feel better soon. I have managed to avoid the whole flu thing but got that nasty nanovirus a couple months back that was 11 or so hours of non stop vomiting. Oh joy. I was going to go to the ER when I got a call from a friend who had it and they said "you'll puke for 12 hours, then it will stop, then you'll be OK. They were right.

    But how is it I can throw up for a day, lose 4 pounds and the instant I eat ONE saltine with a stale 7-UP I gain six back :-)

    Glad you have Dr. Mom taking care of you. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think our metabolism's are similar, Brigid.

    I can work out, sweat like crazy, diet until I'm weak. all to lose 10 pounds in two months.

    And then I drive by a BBQ place, take a whiff, and gain 6 of it back!

    I'm feeling better, but still not hitting on all 8 cylinders....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing your post with this kind of information. With the changes of climate nowadays, there will be more people that will get sick. So it is important that we will take good care of ourselves and our family and I hope I will not get sick. And by the way, it's good that you're feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks!
    Yes, I'm feeling much better, thanks to the care "Dr. Mom" has given me.

    We waved off the launch platform today, and my manager came up to me and told me that since he had my cellphone number, he'd mark me down for the rest of the day as "On Call", and told me to go home and get some rest.

    Still have that pesky cough, but it's slowly fading, and I was able to sleep almost all night long last night.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it civil, please....

Annnnd.....We Got Zip.....

 Total snow was about 6~8", but half o0f it melted as soon as it hit, and we never had more than 3" on the ground at any one time....