Monday, May 14, 2012

Food Preps..."A Week In A Bucket"

I'll be the first to admit that my (our) long-term food storage preps could use a little more finesse.

Water?
Check!
Purifier?
Check!
First Aid?
Check! (courtesy of my son the EMT)
Communications? (you're kidding, right?)
CHECK!
Food?.....Food??......FOOD?!?
Uh, here, sir....kinda.

We have several cases of MRE's,  a couple of cases of various canned meats, a couple of cases of soups and such, and a LOT of those fancy freeze-dried "camping" type meals that I bought when I was single, and before I knew better.

I've considered buying some of those "#10 cans" of stuff from the various purveyors of such, but what do you DO with all that stuff once you have it?

Lacking a plan on how to sort/organize/store/use it, I did what most people do.

Nothing......

WELL.....I stumbled across this article over at Mr. Rawles' place, and I'm stoopified at how simple it is.

You make up a week's worth of balanced meals (7 breakfast, 7 lunch, 7 dinner) out of all the stuff you've accumulated, and pack it away into "A Week In A Bucket", and store the buckets until needed.

Makes a pretty good grab-and-go, eat-for-a-week bug-out item, too.

Remarkably simple, and an excellent example of the kind of clear-headed, logical thinking that can save your butt when TSHTF.

.

2 comments:

  1. It does, but even MREs time out... Gotta be aware of that too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. I keep them as cool as I can (75~80*F), and start replacing them after 4 years or so.
    I've eaten them waaay past their "shelf life", and didn't really notice much difference.
    Whether that's because they're loaded with preservatives, or they're just 'that way' to begin with I don't know, but they were definitely still edible with no other ill effects than eating a fresh MRE.....;-)

    ReplyDelete

Keep it civil, please....

Gloomy, Gritty, Grey Day

 At 1700 local it's as described in the headline; 30*F, 88% RH, completely overcast, snowing like crazy (small flakes, but lots of them)...