Sunday, March 20, 2011

Cold, Wet, and Windy.....

Wet is wet, and windy is windy, but "cold" is relative, so before everybody from outside of Kaliforniastan starts telling me "You call THAT cold?", just let me say I grew up around Chicago, and spent time in the winter in Idaho, both Dakotas, and Montana, so yes, I do know what COLD is.
Cold is having your flashlight go out in your hand, because at 40 below, the batteries freeze.
Cold is having to cut your engine oil with a pint of kerosene (a trick we used before you could buy 5W-10 or 0W-5 synthetic oil) because otherwise your engine won't crank over in the morning.
Cold is hearing your breath freeze (it sounds like little firecrackers) as it drifts away.
Cold is having to use a 100 Watt soldering iron with a special tip because a 40 Watt iron will not get hot enough to melt solder outdoors.
So with that out of the way, it's barely gotten above 50 degrees here, and it's been raining all day. We've accumulated .65" since midnight, and the winds are running about 15mph continuously, with gusts over 35mph.
The barometer is at 29.59 and falling, it's going down to about 45 degrees tonight, and rain will continue all day Monday.
Yeah, I know, it's a "Slow News Day", and I wanted to post something while I'm updating my laptop to OpenSUSE 11.4.

UPDATE:
As of 9pm, we've had 1.2" of rain, but the wind has died down.
It's 48 degrees, which is pretty cool for this time of year.

5 comments:

  1. Cold, windy and wet can be miserable. I'd rather have -20 and dry than +30 with a raw, damp wind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I agree. The times I spent in the really cold states, it was dry, at least. If you dressed properly, you could tolerate it very well. But when it's windy and wet, even when it's above freezing, it just feels worse. My Mom used to call it "Raw" weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wet and windy here in Japan too... and it SUCKS! I HATE cold weather...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can remember working on a microwave tower in Europe, spitting and hearing it crack when it freezes.
    Hate to tell you Jim, but if our weather is moving your way, you can expect rain and a chill into the weekend.
    The wind is gone, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, it's calm right now, but there's a bunch of big, dark clouds coming in. Looks like it'll start raining again soon.
    Got 1.32" of rain yesterday....quite a bit for this time of year down here.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it civil, please....

Annnnd.....We Got Zip.....

 Total snow was about 6~8", but half o0f it melted as soon as it hit, and we never had more than 3" on the ground at any one time....