Thursday, June 20, 2024

Test Post and Eye Operation AAR

 This to see if I can still publish new posts. As of right now, I can't reply to comments made here. I've been able to comment on other blogs, just not here on this one.

So my son and I went down to the eye center at 0700 yesterday, and I checked-in to have the lens in my right eye replaced. I was surprised at how smoothly things ran, and how swift the actual operation was. They took my vitals, checked my glucose, set up an IV line, and explained everything to me. I commented to the attending Nurse about how I remember as a youngster that having this procedure was quite a Big Deal. He told me that back then it was a three-day hospital stay with sandbags on the recovering eye. Once I was rolled into the OR, they gave me a "Combination of Ingredients" through the IV, and I was out.

This part gets 'interesting'.

Next thing I know, the lights came on, and I felt like I was a nano-sized observer in a tiny vehicle looking through a porthole watching the operation take place on the "other side of the glass". No audio, just the video, strangely distorted as the Doctor performed the operation.

Then the lights went off.

Next I heard someone calling my name, and asking me if I was ready to go home. I came to, was wheeled out to my son's waiting truck, and home we came.

When the patch came off later in the day, I was stunned at how much brighter things were, and how the colors popped. Very blurry, but wow! This morning it was better, but still blurry. Saw the Doctor this afternoon for my 1-day post-op, and he said everything looked fine, and it would get better day-by-day, and I should see definite improvement in the next 48~72 hours.

So eye drops for the next month, and then they do the left eye.

6 comments:

  1. The dazzling colors, especially the blues, was amazing after the first lens replacement. The yellowing of the old lens was gone and the full palette was restored. I remember being anxious for the other eye to be fixed.

    Hope all goes well for you and in the next procedure as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an excellent outcome - we're pullin' for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad it all went well - and hope it continues.

    The first person I ever knew who had cataract surgery was an older friend. We worked together in the 1970s - he was mid-60s, had been retired and had to go back to work for a while. I was in my mid-20s.

    The thing I remember most vividly was him explaining how he didn't realize how much color he'd lost and just didn't remember how bright and colorful things were. Suddenly everything was more colorful again. He was blown away by the improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Much better today. I'm about eqaul in both eyes with my glasses off.

      Delete

Keep it civil, please....

Finally Friday!

 And I now have a functional PC with a new 4TB Solid-State Drive, and a fresh installation of Kubuntu 24.04 Long Term Support. It's also...