Saturday, November 11, 2023

Meanwhile, Back On The Workbench....

 Where I've been finishing up a Nakamichi BX-300 cassette deck. I bought two of these on eBay, and pulled the best cosmetic parts off both to make one nice unit.

This one has all the warts and bruises from both units, but works perfectly. I put in new belts and idlers, gave it a complete cleaning and lubrication, and then started going through the Adjustments and Calibration section of the service manual.

And there's a ton of adjustments for each of the three types of tape it can use. "Type I" is good old recording tape. Been around since the 50's, and still works fine. "Type II" are the "Chromium" tapes, which came out in the late 60's. "Type III" are the "Ferrichrome" tapes, which never caught on, and "Type IV" are the "Metal" tapes, and are the height of analog cassette recording.

And they're all buried under the wiring harness. It took about 30 minutes of cutting cable ties and rerouting the cables in the harness just to get this access to them:

These six are for the Record Equalization (aka Frequency Response), and there are six more for the VU Meter Calibration.

Should be a very nice deck when I'm finished with it.

SLW and I have been under the weather with a bug, so that's why the light posting.


6 comments:

  1. I admire your work abilities. My best, recent, effort was to find cruise control switches at a salvage yard in a wrecked Taurus. I successfully removed them and then installed them in my Taurus.
    The OEM switches? They were sticking and the can of electronic cleaner I grabbed without checking carefully turned out to be throttle body cleaner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear we still have walk-through boneyards here. There were very few left in SoCal when we moved away.

      Delete
  2. Glad you're feeling better! And of course they were 'hidden'... sigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first Nakamichi deck I've worked on, they do things a bit differently than Pioneer and Kenwood do things!

      Delete
  3. Gotta love those old PC board mounted potentiometers. How do you deal with cleaning them when they get particulates inside?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First thing I do is mark them so I know where I'm starting from, then use some cleaner and turn them back and forth, then flush them out again.

      Delete

Keep it civil, please....

Meanwhile, Back On The Workbench......

 My next patient on the table is a Fisher SR-2010 receiver with no output.  Basic examination revealed a burned 100 Ohm, 1/4 Watt resistor, ...