I have to drop the mast my weather station is mounted on this morning.....one of the wind cups broke/fell off the anemometer the other day. As a result, it doesn't start spinning until there's quite a breeze blowing, so my wind speeds are all whacked out. The replacement parts arrived last Wednesday, so out comes the ladder and wrenches before it starts raining this afternoon. Probably be one of my "30 Minute" jobs that'll wind up taking me two hours!
Then I put new extra thick weatherstripping on our West-facing garage door, only to see that it STILL had a 1-1/2" gap on one side, and a 3/4" gap on the other. Either the door was never hung properly when it was installed, or things have settled a whole bunch since it was. After a bit of head scratching, it dawned on me that I had a bunch of nearly indestructible thick rubber pads for use with non-penetrating roof mounts. The GF and I laid out the pads to match the gap, and when we closed the door, the new weatherstrip fit snugly all across the width of the door. And she wonders why I keep all this stuff around! Packed some old towels in the gaps between the garage door and the frame, and went up on the garage roof to wrap a big plastic bag around the ventilator turbine.
Programmed my Uniden scanner to the local NWS channels, made sure all our rechargeable batteries are good-to-go, charged all the batteries in my HT's, and filled up my 5-gallon can with gas and some Sta-Bil in case we need to use my Honda EU2000i generator.
We're battened down pretty well for SoCal.