Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Small Block Chevy Time-Lapse Rebuild

This is pretty neat!

They start with an oily, crusty "lump" of an engine, tear it down, bore, hone, and deck the block, rebuild the rods, put hardened seats in the heads, mill them, and then put it all back together all shiny and pretty.

I've lost count on how many times I've done this with Chevy, Ford, and Pontiac V8s, and an unknown number of 4 and 6 cylinder engines!

Nothing real high-performance, as it started as a 2-bbl, a two-bolt block with a cast crank and pressed-in rocker studs, but I'll bet it purrs like a kitten now....



4 comments:

  1. That went a LOT quicker than any of my rebuilds...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it sure did!

    When I built the 1970-spec Ram Air IV motor for my 1973 Trans Am, it took nine months from start to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well done. We get glimpses of all sorts of precise little measurements and tasks. I see surface grinders, reamers, dial indicators. "Real machining".

    By the title, I thought I had seen this before, but it's actually a different one. That means there are at least two time lapse animations of the rebuild of small V8 online.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's also one of a Triumph Spitfire motor being rebuilt, done to "In the hall of the mountain king".

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daVDrGsaDME

    ReplyDelete

Keep it civil, please....

Annnnd.....We Got Zip.....

 Total snow was about 6~8", but half o0f it melted as soon as it hit, and we never had more than 3" on the ground at any one time....