Monday, July 3, 2023

Sweet Little PC for Sweet Little Wife

 

WHEW! Can't say "What A Battle" because in the end it was a simple thing. I reflashed the UEFI BIOS to the current version, and Windows installed normally. I almost always read the release notes on something like this to see what changed over the previous version. The new version had both TPM and Secure Boot enabled as defaults whereas the previous version required you to go in and enable them. The third thing was to "Add Support for ALC888s", and the fourth item was something I don't recall ever seeing before, saying "Add OEM String". Hmmmm....wonder if the Windows install program was looking for that, didn't find it, and rolled over and croaked. All it ended with was a "Does not meet minimum standards" message. Nice error message, Micro$oft! Might be nice if you told us why it didn't pass.

Anywhoo...it's up and running and blazing fast.  

BUT.....I Do Not Like Micro$oft Windows 11.

 No sir, don't like it at all.


Oh, sure, it's fast, easy to use, looks good, and does tons of things for you. 

What provokes me is the behind-the-scenes intrusiveness of it.

It REQUIRES an Internet connection to activate and use. So did XP, Vista, and 7, but this time M$ makes it abundantly clear, and the install would not continue until I plugged an Ethernet cable from the router into the PC. Not even an option to "Ask Me Later".

It REQUIRES a Micro$oft account, to which it automagically connects to when the machine is powered up.

SLW wasn't sure if she had an M$ account, but M$ found one for her based on her email address, so we reset the password on it, and POOF! All her "In The Cloud" documents popped up as shortcuts to the web on her desktop.

It even "found" things she knew she'd deleted, which is kind of spooky.

But she's quite happy with it, as it rips her CDs to a thumb drive in the blink of an eye, and I was able to recover all her photos, music, and documents from The PC That Micro$oft Killed. Yes, murder most foul by an attempted "upgrade" from Windows 10 to Windows 11. I think I can recover/reinstall the system BIOS and get the motherboard to work again, in which case her old PC, originally built for my son as a gaming/multimedia PC, will wind up as the Workshop Computer. Actually I wouldn't mind having a little Shuttle like I just built for her, but I'd rather not spend the bucks building another one.

Work continues on Ms Swan. Since I had to pull the aftermarket air intake tube running across the top of the engine and replace it with the OEM air intake ducting, this is an excellent time to install the new spark plug wires, and replace some of the vacuum hoses that aren't quite right. Then I have to go to the courthouse, pay the registration, pay the late registration fees, and probably pay extra for a temporary permit to drive it to the smog check place.

16 comments:

  1. We're both running Windows 10 here. The regular updates keep coming and both are getting "invited" to "upgrade" to W-11 which we keep refusing. I guess we'll have to make the switch when they stop maintaining W-10. Not looking forward to that at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your current hardware has a UEFI, with the TPM and Secure Boot modes, you should be OK. Since your hardware supports Win10, there's a good chance it might meet the requirements, but it's no guarantee.

      Delete
    2. I looked at the UEFI and TPM as you suggested and it appears that we're compatible. But until it becomes mandatory, I am reluctant to "upgrade." Thanks for the information.

      Delete
    3. Micro$oft has a software tool you can use to check for compatibility when the time comes.

      Delete
  2. Windows 10 was essentially spyware for Micro$oft. Apparently Windows 12 is even worse from a security standpoint. If anything has ever been on your computer, Micro$oft knows about it.

    Just one more reason that I use Linux Mint, not Windows.

    I do have Windows 7 installed on a separate drive I can boot from, but only because I need it for a couple of programs for programming commercial radios that are not available in Chirp. Since I refurbish and sell used land mobile radios on Fleabay, I have to be able to program and test them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I run Kubuntu on this PC. I have a couple of other PC's that run Windows 7 for pretty much the same reasons as you; I need it for certain hardware, like my Flex Systems radio, and a high-end Matrox video capture card.

      Delete
  4. Total computer idiot but did buy a new computer with Windows 11 against the day my Windows 7 goes dead. Keeps bugging me to activate Microsoft Edge. Any opinions?

    I wouldn't worry about driving to the smog check with expired tags. I see vehicles with two year old temp tags frequently. "Officer, I am on my way for the smog test".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edge is the web browser. It replaced Internet Exlpoder. SLW is using it, and now I've used it. it's OK.
      Do they issue "Fix It" tickets here, or would I get popped for expired tags? I'm guessing it's up to the cop. I don't know how strict the visual inspection here, but I figured that big air tube would get me nailed!

      Delete
    2. I've never seen the people at Emissions open the hood of any vehicle. Just grit your teeth as some young punk grins while revving the engine with your Supra on the dyno. Also, hope at least one employee can drive a manual transmission. Were they to do so and fail you, your out $25. 2nd inspection is free within 30 days.

      I doubt most cops would give more than a warning, but, then again, you live in Fort Collins.

      Delete
    3. IIRC, they only do it that way if the car has OBD-II on it. Mine's too old, so they have to open the hood and install a jumper on a certain connector to check the timing.
      I don't have any worries driving it around this immediate area, but was more concerned about driving it in FoCo.

      Delete
  5. Last year I bought a win 10 laptop that came with the super dooper safety feature that would not allow any program installations unless they went through the MS store.
    @&!^%@ that. That got deleted quick.
    I wasn't too keen about Win 10 and spent a lot of time disabling thing that MS did not need to do for my computer !!.
    I had to upgrade to Win 11 so I could install Turbo Tax (which is now bloatware) and I do not like Win 11 much either.
    I miss my old XP computers, best OS MS ever had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XP and Windows 7 are very good Operating Systems. I didn't trust Bill Gate$ before, and now with Win11, I trust him even less, if that's possible....

      Delete
  6. you're proofread before PUBLISH, WSF!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That crap is why I left microcrap behind when the last PC died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I ditched M$ back in the 1990's and only run Windows when required.

      Delete

Keep it civil, please....

Carolina In the Pines

  She came to me, said she knew me Said she'd known me a long time And she spoke of being in love With every mountain she had climbed...