Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Inventory Time


 One of the things I learned from both my Dad and The School of Hard Knocks, is that to do and complete a job requires with having all the required parts on hand. Since I'll be changing all the belts and hoses this Summer, I figured I'd better see if I had all the required parts.

I have at least one of everything, and the "One Is None" got rectified tonight with another order to good old Rock Auto, one of the few places left that actually stocks parts for these cars. I have multiples of the V-belts for the power steering and A/C compressor, and several different lengths of the serpentine belt that drives the water pump and alternator. Since I'll be swapping out the 60A alternator for a 100A unit from a Camry, and it's bigger but with a smaller pulley, the OEM belt doesn't fit. One of the guys on the CelicaSupra forum went through all the different belt lengths, and found an optimum length for the alternator swap, so I have several of those belts.

I only have one cam drive belt, and that's going on the car along with a new tensioner. I was going to get another one, but ooops...."Out of Stock". The only ones they had were $9 "Economy" belts, and I'm not going to risk a cheap cam drive belt on an interference-type engine. OOOPS...Just found out this engine is a NON-interference engine. I still don't like using an El Cheapo timing belt (or chain, or gears) because they're almost always a PITA to replace.

Since the current Hot Problem is an oil leak from the drain plug, I ordered several different plugs (M18-1.5 thread) along with several different types of oil drain plug gaskets. I git yer nylon ones, your fiber ones, and yes, even the Holy Grail of oil drain plug gaskets....the Dead-Soft Copper ones! I have to get this fixed before I refill the oil (groan...another 5 quarts of 10W-40!) and start the engine. Which means I have to shovel out several pounds (or more....) of oil-soaked kitty litter from under the car, along with the cardboard sheets I threw down there when I noticed it was leaking. It NEVER leaked a drop in Long Beach, and it only seems to start leaking in the Winter, so I'm thinking *something* is contracting enough from the cold to allow the oil in the pan to drip out. I put a new gasket on it the last time I had the plug out, and the plug, gasket, and oil pan surface were very clean when I put the plug back in and I torqued it to spec. When was the last time you got your torque wrench out to properly tighten your oil drain plug? Yeah, it was a first for me, too. So clean surfaces, new gasket, properly tightened.......WTF did the oil leak out? Absolutely NO TRACE of oil around the pan gasket, front main seal, or rear main seal. No trace of oil at the cylinder head/block interface. Oil filter clean, dry, and tight. This engine is sealed remarkably well for a 35 year old engine with 168,000 miles on it. It's DRY externally. The only place I see any wetness (besides on the floor...) is around the drain plug. So either the threads are worn, or something I've only seen a very few times. Rarely, the area around the drain plug where the back-up plate with the female threads is welded inside develops cracks. It's an easy fix. Scrupulously clean the area with a no-residue solvent, and butter some JB Weld over the cracks. Beats pulling the pan to have it cleaned and welded up. You could even braze the area to seal the cracks. 

Oh...and I just noticed the throttle linkage is really sloppy. Looks like a plastic bushing has worn out, and the cable has stretched some over 35 years, requiring adjustment. The linkage is more of an issue, as the parts are staked together, making disassembly problematic.

It's been pleasant out in the garage getting Ms Swan awakened, and I'm looking forward to dancing with her again.

10 comments:

  1. Rock Auto........grr! Weld County is a home rule county, has some different type of tax, and Rock Auto won't ship to a Weld County address. I wanted to stock up on parts for the Mitsubishi Might Max as Rock Auto was closing out some. No joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we first moved here I tried to order some things, and got pretty much the same "Sorry, can't sell in Colorado due to tax structure", which surprised me. It might be fixed now, or at least it is for Larimer County/FoCo.
      When was the last time you tried to order?

      Delete
    2. Give 'em try next time you need something, or I can order it for you.

      Delete
  2. Gah, take the pan off and have a pro weld it. That is NOT something you want to jury rig...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still have to determine why it's dripping. I'll get the oily kitty litter out of there today so I can slide under on my creeper. *IF* I have to pull the pan I can weld it up myself. I'm pretty good with gas, stick, MIG, TIG, and I'm almost "Pro Level" when it comes to brazing. The in-laws have good equipment, and I'm free to use it.
      That's assuming (uh-oh...) I can get the pan off with the engine in the car, something I'll have to look at.
      If I have to pull the engine....all bets are off!

      Delete
  3. PartsGeek is another good source for older parts.

    Well Seasoned Fool, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who still had a Mighty Max. It is getting really difficult to find many of the pats. Just remember, a Dodge D50 is 99% the same truck off of the same assembly line. Many of the parts I've gotten from a Dodge dealership say Mitsubishi on the box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of PartsGeek, but don't recall going to their site. Toyota AutoPartsOnLine is also very good, and one of the forum members works for a huge Toyota dealer, and is happy to order stuff for other members.

      Delete
    2. Also Plymouth Arrow. I've had three Mighty Max, a diesel, a 2.6 Automatic (wiped out by a tornado) and the current base 2.0 5 speed.

      Delete
    3. Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler had some kind of agreement with Mitsubishi to import "Private Label" vehicles, like the Dodge Stealth.

      Delete

Keep it civil, please....

Carolina In the Pines

  She came to me, said she knew me Said she'd known me a long time And she spoke of being in love With every mountain she had climbed...