Monday, July 31, 2023

Holee Molee It's RAINING!

 On the basis of gut feeling, the NWS reports, and my own instruments, I can confidently say this the most rain, in the shortest period of time, we've ever received.



FIVE INCHES per hour rain rate, and 1.8" of rain as of 2100LT. Current radar indicates a lot of rain still out there, and some of it might get here.

We had so much lightning and thunder, that poor Little Miss Pebbles, went down into the basement, and then into the basement bathroom, during the worst part of the storm. Based on my survey for the "Safest Place In The House In Case Of Nuclear Attack", the two safest places are in the basement bathroom, and in Der Boonker, as you have the concrete foundation of the house on three sides of you, and sturdy joists and bracing above you.

SLW, DIL, TLG, and TNLG had been in KCMO for her Granddaughter's wedding, and hit this mess coming back up through the Denver area. Good thing they were in DIL's Mom's car, a big, honking Audi Q8 quattro SUV of very recent vintage. Audi's "Quattro" AWD system is superb, from what I've read. My Jeep had "Quadra-Drive II", and was amazing, so I'd imagine the Quattro system is at least as good.

Be safe out there!

14 comments:

  1. Amen on keeping safe in the rain.

    We have had rain forecast here the last couple of days and still dry as a bone. We did see some lightning to the north while we were watching tonight's ISS pass. Damsel also saw a "string" of Starlink satellites go over which I missed. We both saw a "string" go over a couple of weeks ago. Keep looking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have set up my GoPro but didn't think it was going to be this violent!

      Delete
  2. I have a car wash account, $15 a month, one wash a day. Run through the wash and the next morning the car is spotted. We have had so many dry years this years weather seems unreal.

    We still aren't into the monsoon season. Let us hope this year isn't a repeat of 2013. End of September, first part of October the South Platte flooded. Many lives lost and billions of dollars in damages. Sisty was worked into exhaustion in the weeks afterwards.

    Heads up if you need to drive in slot canyons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our first time out here was for Independence Day, 2013, a year after the High Park fire. I don't remember the weather later in the year, but the weather reminded me strongly of growing up in Illinois. Blue skies one minute, afternoon downpours next! When does the Monsoon Season start? No plans on going on any canyon runs soon!

      Delete
    2. Monsoon season usually starts from around now into the Fall. Circulation around what is usually called an Albuquerque low brings moist Gulf air with upper level wind from SSE instead of the normal NNW. The winds stall against the Front Range and the rain can be intense. Yesterday was the anniversary of the 1976 Big Thompson Flood. https://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/2016/07/29/big-thompson-flood-killed-scores/87524858/

      Delete
    3. OK, wasn't sure when it started here.

      Delete
  3. The problem with relying on fancy traction control systems in modern cars is we take them for granted and drive like weather doesn't matter. I don't care what kind of fancy system your car has. Drive too fast when it's raining cats and dogs and you will hydroplane, lose ALL traction and end up in the ditch...if you're lucky. Dead if you're not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you meant to say most people take them for granted. My first exposure to 4WD was in the late 70's. My best buddy bought a CJ-5. He plowed snow and pulled people out of ditches all Winter. Like me, he appreciated the fact that while you accelerate a lot better, the cornering and braking were pretty much the same as RWD when the weather got bad.

      Delete
    2. Traction control that cannot be turned off is bad (Toyota Prius). Hoosier Pass, 10 mph corners in winter will leave you immobile.

      Delete
    3. I've heard similar things about other cars.

      Delete
  4. Hopefully your family didn't get caught by the rain and strong winds in KC Sunday night that caused a large number of power outages. The main body of outages was a swath from about mile west of my house on to points further west. I only lost one large limb this time. Not so to my west. Lots of damage. Kansas City Downtown Airport clocked winds of 79 mph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They saw it happening all around them. Said it was quite a light show. I'm kicking myself for not setting up my GoPro yesterday, so I think I'll go do that.

      Delete
  5. That's a 'bit' of rain, no question!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it civil, please....

Carolina In the Pines

  She came to me, said she knew me Said she'd known me a long time And she spoke of being in love With every mountain she had climbed...