Friday, February 24, 2017

Meanwhile, Out Near San Clemente Island.....

Just going through some old pix of my Sea Launch days and found this one.

We were out by the Naval Bombing Range on San Clemente for sea trial after coming back in 2011. We were required to go out there to fire up all our various radio and telemetry systems as some of the Russian stuff used frequencies not licensed for that use in the US.

Well, there we were, and along pop up these guys:



Obviously some type of training mission......

7 comments:

  1. So there we were, one lazy weekend afternoon at sea, anchored outside of a port in the Med. I was leaning on the lifeline, staring at nothing, when up pops a sub not more than 50 yards away. Freaked me right out. And at that moment, I understood why surface sailors hated submarines so much during the war.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, as they like to say, "There's only two types of ships....Submarines, and TARGETS"!

      Delete
  2. You've led an interesting life, that's for sure. One thing I have never regretted is traveling as much as I did in the service. Even if not all of it was pleasant, I'm grateful for having lived a life with some variety in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've had some pretty interesting jobs, and done some pretty interesting things.

      Sometimes makes me wonder how I've managed to escape in one piece!

      Delete
  3. LOL, range and bearing, Mark... Fire tube one...

    ReplyDelete

Keep it civil, please....

Annnnd.....We Got Zip.....

 Total snow was about 6~8", but half o0f it melted as soon as it hit, and we never had more than 3" on the ground at any one time....