Friday, June 22, 2018

Field Day 2018

And I'm not doing anything this year.

I was going to set up my satellite station and run "1E CO" from the backyard, but my son, who was going to come out here for a week, got rear-ended a couple of weeks ago. His rental wouldn't insure him for a trip to Colorado, so he spent the time finding a new vehicle to replace the Nissan Frontier pick-up he had that the insurance company totaled. He got clobbered by a fairly new Honda Civic doing about 45MPH while he was stopped for traffic on the 405 freeway. The Civic was destroyed (they had to cut the guy out), and his truck suffered a bent rear axle, pretzeled driveshaft, and the rear bumper was torn off the frame, bending the frame "beyond economical repair" and ripping a couple of big chunks out of it. He's OK, other than being exceptionally upset that the guy who hit his three week old truck was uninsured, and has probably disappeared by now.

So, he replaced it with a 2010 Ram 1500 with a 5.7L Hemi, the class IV trailer towing package, and 38,000 miles on it. Sounds like a nice truck, and I suppose I'll get to see it if/when he decides to come out this way.

NCARC, the local radio club I'm a member of, will be running their Field Day operations out by the City of Nunn water tower, so I'll probably head out there Saturday afternoon to see what they're doing.

10 comments:

  1. Good to hear your son is ok. 5.7 Hemi and CA gas prices?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup. I told him the same thing. One thing I told him to be careful of was tire size, too. I went to a one-inch (25mm) wider tire with the same diameter, and my mileage dropped about 2MPG from the extra drag.

    He's still talking about moving out here, but I'll believe it when I see it....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was hoping to get some field day time in too, but other family commitments have gotten in the way. Maybe next time.

    z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bust for me this year. Went out to the site, and it reminded me so much of the club I quit before we moved here, that I only stayed about 10 minutes.

      Beautiful day for a drive, though....

      Delete
  4. Sad to hear that. Hope he doesn't have any lingering back issues from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He had some soreness, but that passed quickly.

      Delete
  5. Missed Field Day last year with my former club because we were working on things for our move. Now that we are at the new place, I was doing some time critical work on our new house before the insulation goes in and the sheetrock goes on. Hopefully next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't operate last year as we were in the "decluttering, cleaning, fixing, painting" phase of getting our little house in Long Beach ready to go on-the-market.

      I probably just should have put the satellite station together and ran "1E CO" from the backyard. Some of my satellite friends are waiting for me to get back on the birds as they all want a contact from DN70!

      Delete
    2. Publish when you do. I may have my IC-821H back up and running on 2 Meters with some antennas for the birds.

      Delete
  6. Ouch, glad to hear your son is OK!
    Dammit, why is it the crashers are always uninsured? Someone pays and one way or another it is those of us with insurance.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it civil, please....

Annnnd.....We Got Zip.....

 Total snow was about 6~8", but half o0f it melted as soon as it hit, and we never had more than 3" on the ground at any one time....