Sunday, September 18, 2011

Where's Waldo, Part Deux


We're now at 6.5* N, 146.5* W, and chugging along at 9.4 kts.

Or as one of my friends called it, "Groundhog Day, Part 3".

We were supposed to get to the launch site on Wednesday about 1700, but the platform had a turbocharger failure on one of their big Diesels that runs the generators (it has a Diesel-Electric propulsion system), and they were dead-in-the-water for about 4 hours while they fixed it.

I'd post more pictures, but everything has to be approved by Security and the Export people, so I'll see if I can get some approvals for simple things like the helo.

In the meantime, here's the latest Enhanced IR picture from the weather guys.

The little green square is where we are.

3 comments:

  1. You're gonna need to go downhill with a tailwind to make your slot :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's not looking good to get there when we thought we would.
    I just checked, and we're down to about 7.5 kts.
    And the question of wind velocity and sub-surface currents can't be addressed until we get there and put the probe into the water. There's been times when the platform just plain ran out of available power to hold position, and we've sat for 2~7 days waiting for conditions to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I thought I was out in the middle of nowhere!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it civil, please....