Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Ruh-Roh! Winter Storm Advisory, and a Damn Good Knife Sharpener

 Yowie.....We have a major cold front coming through, bringing COLD temps for the season, and SNOW!

Per the NWS:


URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE National Weather Service Denver/Boulder CO 257 PM MDT Wed May 18 2022 ...LATE SPRING STORM MAY BRING HEAVY SNOW TO THE FRONT RANGE MOUNTAINS AND FOOTHILLS THIS FRIDAY AND SATURDAY... .Confidence is increasing in moderate to heavy snowfall in the Front Range mountains, Foothills and along the Urban Corridor starting late Thursday for the mountains and higher foothills and late Friday for elsewhere through Saturday afternoon. There is still a lot of uncertainty in snowfall totals but significant impacts seem likely, especially for broken trees that could lead to power interruptions or outages.

Larimer County Below 6000 Feet/Northwest Weld County- Boulder And Jefferson Counties Below 6000 Feet

* WHAT...Heavy snow possible. Total snow accumulations of 4 to 10 inches possible. Winds could gust as high as 35 mph. 

* WHERE...Portions of central, north central and northeast Colorado. 

* WHEN...From Friday afternoon through Saturday morning. 

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult. The hazardous conditions could impact the evening commute. Heavy snow could break tree limbs that could lead to power outages.

 

I don't expect us to get that much snow, and the full synopsis of the advisory calls for almost immediate melting, but still, we'll be running around covering up all the new plants SLW has put in the front garden area. Friday night sounds like a nice evening for the last fireplace session of the season, a pizza, and a movie or two!

I've never been particularly good at sharpening knives.  I can get a decent edge, but it never seems to last. Some years ago I bought a "Chef's Choice" from Cabella's, and I could at least get consistent results out of it compared to other methods.

About the time I was asking for recommendations for one, Kenny, over at KnuckleDraggin My Life Away, popped up and said the best one he'd ever used was a "Work Sharp" unit, so I bought one of those and tucked it away. Fast forward six or seven years to yesterday, and I dug it out to try it.

It put a perfect edge on my beat up hand axe, the shovel we've been using in the newest backyard projects, and resharpened my EDC knife to like new. Well....almost like new. I now know what happens when you put the serrated edge through the wrong side of the sharpener. It Wipes Out The Serrated Edge.... Oh, well, it was an old knife, anyway.

These things:

Are fabulous, and get my 5-Star approval.

2 comments:

  1. I have an assignment in Lafayette I was going to do Saturday. Instead, I will do it in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And we're over 100 again today... But we're supposed to get that 'cold front' on Sunday...

    ReplyDelete

Keep it civil, please....

Meet Luna!

 Great name for our new pup, eh? She's camera shy, and "Red Eye Removal" doesn't work for dogs! She's two years old, p...