Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Finally On Kubuntu 20.04_LTS

I downloaded it a couple of weeks ago, and slowly began the process of getting all my bookmarks and stuff off the drive in this PC and on to a portable drive. Then, before I started, I realized I had some new drives in the workshop, so I went and got one of those. I swapped the drives, and completely disconnected the "#2 Drive" in here that I use for storage. I've had issues in the past where the installer for the Operating System saw two, matched drives, and went ahead and nuked the second drive, and set the two drives up is a kind of a RAID fashion, meaning I lost all the stuff I had on the other drive.

Good thing I have backups!

So I now have a new 4TB WD "Black" drive (the "High Performance" version compared to a "Blue" drive) in here, my secondary storage drive is safe and reconnected, and things seem to be running smoothly.

I'm snagging and installing various applications as I remember/need them, as I usually do a "Minimum" install. The "Standard" installation adds all kinds of stuff I'll never use, and duplicates of popular programs so a new user can try them and see which they prefer.

Do I really need three music players, four text editors, three different photo viewers, and a dozen games I'll never play? I mean choice is good, but at some point it becomes clutter, especially if you've been using Linux as long as I have.

And since this is a release with Long Term Support, I'll have a much easier time upgrading it to the next release, rather than having to start from scratch again.

Time to see if I can get my webcam up and running so I can join the Skype session used for a "Virtual Meeting" of the Amateur Radio club aboard the Iowa.

9 comments:

  1. This Latter Day Luddite has only the vaguest idea what you are talking about, but that is OK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does Linux Skype support replacing backgrounds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know any Skype could do that. I've only used it a few times, and features like that don't appeal to me much.

      Delete
  3. I cringe whenever I need to do wholesale drive replacements and data swaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Gen-You-Ine PITA! I usually just put a new drive in the PC, reinstall my OS and programs, and then migrate my files over at mu leisure.

      Delete
  4. Oh yeah... Not trying that 'again'... My last try was... less than successful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Used to take me a lot longer than it does now, but then I've done it "professionally", and know the routine all too well!

      Delete
  5. Not really a fan of (K)Ubuntu - you still get too much crapware whether you want it or not. I've switched to Mint Debian Edition -it's not that minimalist as Arch Linux but it's a nicely balanced distro - you might check it...

    ReplyDelete

Keep it civil, please....

Meet Luna!

 Great name for our new pup, eh? She's camera shy, and "Red Eye Removal" doesn't work for dogs! She's two years old, p...