Monday, January 1, 2018

Happy New Year!

Hope you all made it to this side of the calendar. Got busy farting around the house doing some little 'nothing' jobs, but things that needed fixin'. Had to re-fix a cabinet door I 'fixed' last night crawling around adjusting hinges and replacing woefully undersized attaching hardware where the fixed side of the hinge screws into the cabinet frame. Pix to follow on that one!

And still sorting stuff in the garage into "garage" and "radio/workshop" piles. I'm at the point where tomorrow will require some major work on The Great Cardboard Pile so I can clear some space. It's going to be in the high 40's to low 50's towards the end of the week, so the semi-portable satellite antenna tower, AND the Davis weather station on a 5' tripod will get moved outside to the back patio area. BTW.....the pair of "rechargeable" alkaline AA batteries in the new little weather station finally went casters up. I'll try reviving them with a charger specifically made for that battery chemistry and see how long they last. The "Lo TX" battery symbol came on last week, and the other day I noticed that there wasn't any data from the remote sensors. There's a solar cell about 2"x2" on the sensor suite, but I wonder if that's enough to RELIABLY charge a pair of AA batteries. I really wanted to like this little weather station, but it's really piling up the "minuses" compared to the "pluses".

Tuesday we're going to see the new "Jumanji" movie, having watched the original Robin Williams version on New Year's Eve to prime us for it. I'm guessing it'll be a little throw-away "Holiday Movie", but The Rock usually puts on a good performance.

7 comments:

  1. Glad things are going along mostly well. Hope you enjoyed the movie. :)
    Have a safe, blessed year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun movie. Much more a summer movie, but for $5 each, you can't go wrong!

      Delete
  2. A belated Happy New Year to you, Jim, thanks for all the info over the past year, may this year be good for ya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try and keep it interesting, Grog. The blog is kind of turning into "Better Homes and Gardens", but all this house stuff is new to me, and I enjoy sharing it.

      Look for more radio and automotive adventures coming soon....

      Delete
    2. Nothing wrong with Variety, I remodeled both houses I've owned, it was a learning experience. ;)

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year!
    Had a great time changing the European hinges in the kitchen so the doors opened in the best direction. One of those things I learned to do, and then will probably never get to use again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was like a light came on, once I figured out how to adjust them.

      I wonder what kind of hinges the new cabinets will come with once we have the kitchen remodeled....

      Delete

Keep it civil, please....

Gloomy, Gritty, Grey Day

 At 1700 local it's as described in the headline; 30*F, 88% RH, completely overcast, snowing like crazy (small flakes, but lots of them)...