Wednesday, January 8, 2014

OOOOPS!

Well, I was going to write a post about the new PC I built for my Christmas present to myself, BUT...got home from work late, then had dinner, then the dogs mugged me to take them for a walk, then had some Radio Club biz to take care of, then my sister called........geez, hectic night!

It's a screamer, though. Intel i7 Quad Core, 16GB of memory, a pair of 2TB SATA 6GB/s hard drives, NVidia 660 graphics card, running the newest version of OpenSUSE, 13.1.

And everything worked out-of-the-box, after I finished installing the OS.

Linux sure has come a long ways!

Later......

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a screamer, all right. Now: first assignment is warp drive, followed by transporter technology.

    Wait ... since this is you we're talking about, try subspace radio first. Then the others. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice... :-) But you really need a Tesla card... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. But when you say that I can't help but think of Old NFO's joke this week "I got a sweater for Christmas. I wanted a screamer or a moaner". :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, where did you get this equipment from and how hard was it to put together? Did you get a monitor with it also? Did it come with a key board and mouse? Heltau

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bought everything from Newegg.com, and I've been building PC's since 1990, so no, it wasn't hard (for me!) to build.

    I already have a good keyboard and mouse, and use them with a KVM switch for the two other computers in my "Radio Room".

    Likewise, I didn't need a monitor, as I'm using a Dell UltraSharp 24" I've had for some time.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it civil, please....

Annnnd.....We Got Zip.....

 Total snow was about 6~8", but half o0f it melted as soon as it hit, and we never had more than 3" on the ground at any one time....