Friday, March 1, 2013

Helping Teach an NRA "Basic Pistol" Class on Saturday

One of my instructor friends dropped me an email tonight wondering if I was free tomorrow to help him with an NRA Basic Pistol class.

Of course I said I'd be happy to help him!

Even when I'm "teaching", I learn things from the students, and some of their questions are a bit amusing, to say the least.

We all had to start *somewhere*, so I NEVER look down on them, call a question "stupid", or demean then in any way. I KNOW I asked my share of "stupid" questions when I was getting started in any variety of my pursuits, and I always say a little silent prayer for all the people who mentored me that aren't with us any more.

The question turned to ammo for the class, and seeing as I have a small stockpile of 22LR out in the garage, I offered to bring some, as his ammo orders are constantly having their delivery dates pushed back. He asked me how much I wanted for it, and I told him I'd look up what the going rate was, and we'd work something out.

HOLY SMOKES........!!!!!

A box of 500 Wolf 22LR "Extra Match" grade was going for EIGHTY DOLLARS when it was last available, and the 500 round box of Fiocchi Biathlon Super Match SM340 was ONE-HUNDRED BUCKS when it was last available.

I bought this back in July of 2009, and I sure don't remember what I paid for it, so "negotiations" tomorrow should be pretty interesting, to say the least!

4 comments:

  1. Oh yeah... It's getting UGLY out there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Practice ammo is getting scarce and expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been able to find 22LR anywhere at any price. I tend to stay away from Fiocchi and Wolf brands but would consider them if they were available.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only thing I didn't like about the Wolf was that it was really "greasy/oily" when I first bought it.
    It's a lot "drier" now than it was 3 years ago, and all of it we used went BANG, so I guess I had it stored properly in a 50cal ammo can, good seal lubed with a wipe of silicone grease, and kept off the floor of the garage.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it civil, please....

Annnnd.....We Got Zip.....

 Total snow was about 6~8", but half o0f it melted as soon as it hit, and we never had more than 3" on the ground at any one time....