Things I'm remembering about life on a ship......
1) Port is Left, and Starboard is Right
2) The front of the ship is the Bow
3) The back of the ship is the Stern
4) It's not the Floor, it's the Deck
5) It's not a wall, it's a Bulkhead
6) It's not the ceiling, it's the Overhead
7) They're not hallways, they're Passageways
8) ALWAYS pick up your feet when going through a doorway or hatch, or you'll trip on the Frame
9) Self-Closing doors will do so right as you start to go through them
10) NEVER call a Chart a "Map"
11) A ship will Pitch, Roll, Yaw, or Heave just as you're getting ready to take a sip of your coffee
12) Ship's coffee can double as general purpose cleaner and/or paint stripper (Our coffee is actually pretty good!)
13) The "Slop Chest" is not what it sound's like
And a whole lot more!