Saturday, May 9, 2009

Star Trek

Well, the gf and I just returned home from watching the new Star Trek movie, in IMAX, no less.
It definitely had moments of brilliance in the acting, and the SFX were extremely good, but I thought (HERESY!) the plot was a bit thin in spots. I won't go into it because I don't want to spoil it for anybody who's planning on seeing it, so, NO SPOILERS!
The actors were superb for the most part, and I could see them "aging into" the characters on the original series. The first time Kirk sat in his chair, crossed his legs, and propped one arm on the armrest, you *knew* it was Kirk. The actors who played Spock and Dr. McCoy were just as good, and Captain Pike was great.
This was the first time I've seen a theatrical release in IMAX, and while it's not quite the same as seeing an IMAX *film* on the seven story high screen ( they use a DLP...Digital Light Processor instead of 70mm film ) at the California Science Center, it's better than any other "movie" I've ever seen. They made a big deal out of the 12,000 Watt sound system, but I didn't think it sounded any better than a good THX movie.
If you like Star Trek, by all means go see it. heck, even if you don't like Star Trek, but do like a good summer action movie, go see it!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, I'll add it to the wish list... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm planning on it, as soon as I get a full weekend at home!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it civil, please....

Gloomy, Gritty, Grey Day

 At 1700 local it's as described in the headline; 30*F, 88% RH, completely overcast, snowing like crazy (small flakes, but lots of them)...